Version 3 of "Parsing: a Timeline"

Jeffrey Kegler

Apr 10, 2018, 11:54:02 AM4/10/18
to marpa parser
I have written version 3 of my most popular blog post: "Parsing: A Timeline".

There are enough changes that it could be considered a new work.  It is several times as long, and includes sources.

The previous versions focused entirely on parsing trends that affected Marpa's development.  In Version 3 the focus is wider, and a lot of the new material concerns matters of major interest in mainstream parsing, but which had little or no impact on Marpa.  One of these issues is operator expression parsing.  A second is combinator parsing and monads.

Comments are welcome.

zel...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2018, 1:20:28 PM4/17/18
to marpa parser
FWIW, the Hackernews posting of your timeline has developed into an (uncharacteristically) interesting and useful discussion. I'd be curious to see your responses to some of the questions and omissions pointed out there.

Fantastic reading, by the way. I particularly enjoy just-opinionated-enough-to-be-interesting surveys like this :-)

Zellyn

Jeffrey Kegler

Apr 17, 2018, 1:30:37 PM4/17/18
to Marpa Parser Mailing LIst
Thanks!

I usually prefer to let discussions like that in Hackernews develop.  After, to the accusation of a bias in favor of Marpa, I must plead guilty. :-)

I think having a clear POV is important, and the literature has suffered from a Dragnet style "Just the math, please" approach.  I think that's part of what's left the field so confused -- people don't state what they're trying to do, and why they're preferring the particular approach that they are.  Grune and Jacobs was IMHO a step in the right direction.

I think my clearly stated POV gives the reader a start, and the careful references enable him to delve deeper, and draw his own conclusions.

Rocky

Jun 24, 2018, 7:58:38 AM6/24/18
to marpa parser
Just read Parsing: A Timeline and like very much. Thanks!

Somewhat related is my What the Dragon book didn't tell us.