Rewrite Marpa in ....

cristian.i...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2017, 4:05:34 PM8/21/17
to marpa parser
I would like to suggest that Marpa should be rewrite in
- Rust
or
- Ocaml
or better
- Haxe (haxe.org) Haxe source code is transpiled to Java, Python, Lua, C++, C#, JavaScript.

Thanks
Cristian

rym...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2017, 4:16:56 PM8/21/17
to marpa-parser
...why?

You're free to bind libmarpa and port R2 to whatever languages you want.

--
Ryan (ライアン)
Yoko Shimomura, ryo (supercell/EGOIST), Hiroyuki Sawano >> everyone else

Ron Savage

Aug 21, 2017, 6:52:44 PM8/21/17
to marpa parser
And since Marpa is Open Source, you could re-write it yourself.

But the real issue is not your favourite language, it's the astonishing world-wide testing regime Perl has in place, which allowed the very first versions of Marpa to be given a Perl interface, knowing that a digital tribe of volunteers would be available to help index, test and hence debug it, as well a proof-read the documentation.

More information here: http://savage.net.au/Marpa.html

Jeffrey Kegler

Aug 21, 2017, 7:33:55 PM8/21/17
to Marpa Parser Mailing LIst
Good point, Ron.  When I started Marpa, it looked like Perl was in trouble.  (Not all of the troubles that people foresaw came to pass, but many did.)  I had used and liked Python.  Perl was not accepted as a language in which new algorithms are written and that attitude still holds.  Write a simple LL(1) parser in Haskell and folks will assume it can run circles around anything that grew out of the Perl community and the Perl community holds this attitude as much as anybody.  By writing in Perl I could pretty much guarantee the road to academic acceptance would be a long one.

But I went with Perl because of CPANtesters, and that has been essential.  Others languages have repositories, but no other language community will take a new and unvouched-for module and give it rigorous testing and, yes as Ron points out, often bug fixes as well.