Next Mapnik Code Sprint

Richard Weait

May 21, 2012, 4:07:05 PM5/21/12
to map...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Twenty months in the making. The next hugely successful and awesomely
fun Mapnik Code Sprint will be held in Washington DC, in just a few
short weeks. You should be there!

Some details.
https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik/wiki/Code-sprint

Who should be there?

You should be there. Are you worried that the activities will be
"over your head"? Maybe, but you can self-test. If you have ever
committed code to Mapnik, or submitted a patch that was accepted then
you should be there. Are you an expert-level user of Mapnik, with an
interest in improving it for others? Are you a documenter of code, a
writer of tutorials a hunter / squisher of bugs? You should be there.
Are you an expert cartographer? You should be there. Do you have
bits and pieces of these skills and have thought to yourself, "I bet I
could improve Mapnik if only I did ..."? Then you should be there.
If you already follow the Mapnik group / list, you should be there.

Why should I be there?

You should be there to make Mapnik better. We will be fixing bugs and
adding capabilities, we'll be improving documentation and adding
tutorials, we'll be learning from each other and working together.
We'll be making the path to Mapnik success easier for those who follow
us.

We'll be having a wonderful time while we do it.

You should be there.

Still have questions about whether you belong and will be welcome?
Join the #mapnik IRC channel on freenode and talk to us about it.

Like the previous code sprint in London in 2010, we'll have a Meet &
Greet on Friday night. We'll learn about the hope and dreams and
skills and goals of each other. We'll exchange stories and get to
know each other without the computers in the way.

Saturday, we'll start with a brainstorming session to share our short
term goals for the weekend, then we'll start coding in earnest.

Sunday, the coding will continue, punctuated by periodic exclamations
of, "Awesome! You have to see this!"

Add yourself and your tasks / goals to the wiki.
https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik/wiki/Code-sprint

Now. Talk about how much fun you are going to have when you come the
the code sprint.

See you in DC,
Richard