Giving Map Maker Automated Systems Names

Jessica

Aug 8, 2012, 1:16:23 PM8/8/12
to mapmaker-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mappers!

We’ve received a lot of feedback from you all on our Automated Systems, (aka Bots.) We like our Automated Systems because, for the large part, they quickly and algorithmically improve the maps data. This means you don’t waste your time adding information that we can provide, allowing you to focus your efforts on bringing your local knowledge to the map. The result is that we get the best possible data for the places you care about on Google Maps.

Thanks to your insights, we’ve noticed that our Automated Systems have not worked as intended recently. We are working to share such examples with the team responsible for the Automated Systems so they can improve their algorithms. Additionally, in an attempt to increase transparency, we also recognize the need to identify our Automated Systems accounts and over the next few weeks will be working to give them unique names, such as “Google Automated Address Fixer”. This will make it easier for you to report issues with the Automated Systems as well as see the good they do.

Again, none of this would have happened without your passion and diligent feedback. We thank you for being so active in our community, and we hope to continue to bring these kinds of improvements to Map Maker based on your feedback.

Jessica Pfund
Google Map Maker Community Manager