Map Maker Update - November 12, 2012

Sneha

Nov 12, 2012, 10:36:30 AM11/12/12
to mapmaker-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mappers,

Continuing our endeavor to enhance your Map Maker experience, we’re bringing some more improvements to Google Map Maker. With this release, we launch an all new Map Maker Activity Stream. We welcome your thoughts and suggestions on this thread.

Lets take a look in detail:

Map Maker Activity Stream

With this release, you’ll notice an all new Activity Stream at the left hand panel. You’ll now see Neighborhoods, Search Results, your own activities and more, grouped together at the left hand panel to make an Activity Stream.

Map Maker Neighborhoods

Moving forward, map making will be pivoted around neighborhoods, making it even easier to improve your hometown, local hot spots, or even your most frequented vacation destinations.

Lets have a quick look at all the options:

Show changes to My Neighborhood

This option will display:

  1. All the neighborhoods added by you (if any)
  2. The suggested neighborhoods based on places that you’ve  rated, reviewed, starred or searched on Google Maps and edited on Map Maker
  3. Option to Add a neighborhood
  4. You can now filter what you see on a neighborhood stream by category (just look at restaurants, roads, dog parks, sports fields, hospitals, schools, etc.)

Show Changes in the Current Map View

You can monitor and review changes made to your current map view by other mappers. To view a different area, simply pan or zoom in Map View and the changes will automatically update in the left-hand panel.

Click the feature to know more about the particular edit. You can also help publish changes to the map by reviewing edits. Simply click the Review button associated with the pending edit you wish to review.

My Activities

You will now find your overall mapping stats under My Activities tab, previously known as My Edits tab.

Manage Neighborhoods

Managing neighborhoods is now easier than ever. Here, you can edit your neighborhood’s name, geographic coverage (by zooming in and out), and edit types. You can also make notes about your interest in the neighborhood and set up alerts to notify you about changes there. Finally, you can also remove selected or suggested neighborhoods if you no longer want them to appear in your neighborhood stream.

See also: Map Maker help

Thanks,
Sneha ( On behalf of entire Map Maker team, Google)