SVG files

Chris84

Apr 6, 2009, 8:21:07 AM4/6/09
to MapInfo-L
Hi all,

I have been sent an SVG file and I'm not sure how to open it using
MapInfo (v8.5).
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Bill Thoen

Apr 6, 2009, 12:37:17 PM4/6/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
If you have Firefox, you can just display it with that browser, if your
goal is to view it. But if you really need it loaded into MapInfo, I
believe that SVG is a form of GML, but I don't know if MapInfo supports
that flavor. Have you tried loading it as a GML file?

In any case, SVG is an XML-based format and if you're looking at doing
this in MapBasic, you could check out the XML library that MapBasic now
supports.

- Bill Thoen

Ben A Greenberg

Apr 6, 2009, 1:01:07 PM4/6/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
I know of some nice products that convert Mapinfo data to SVG, but not
the converse.

Eric Blasenheim

Apr 6, 2009, 2:40:09 PM4/6/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

SVG is not GML. It is a graphics format  (similar in concept to postscript in capability) from which some basic linear transform support has been added.

In  addition to being able to read it  (and there are many ways to do anything) one would need some mechanism for registering it on the earth.

For a while, Adobe had the best SVG plugin. However, given the lack of general interest, it has discontinued support for that plugin.  Firefox has native support but did not support many of the constructs I tried a while back. Perhaps that is improved.

The graphics model has many representations including X/Y as well as many moveto/lineto type constructs.

In my opinion, it was a  good, relatively complete model that never really took off.

Eric Blasenheim      Chief Product Architect
Pitney Bowes Business Insight (formerly Group 1 Software and MapInfo)

Insights 09  in Orlando

http://insights.pbbusinessinsight.com/

Mail List:grbounce-YvY1eQUAAAAJBprYSySRydkk7vpghP_9=mail_list=mapin...@googlegroups.com

Ben A Greenberg <bgree...@mlgcommercial.com> on 04/06/2009 12:01 PM

<mapi...@googlegroups.com>

cc:

[MI-L] Re: SVG files

David Reid

Apr 6, 2009, 11:01:38 PM4/6/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
I was hoping Bill Thoen would reply to this thread as I knew he had worked
in outputting MI mapdata to SVG but I didn't know if a newer version of MI
supported reading it or not, or if someone had built a tool for importing it
to MI.

Thusly, I thought I'd inject how I had dealt with the problem once before,
and was actually as much of an endeavor to see if it could be done I
suppose, not to mention, geospatial accuracy is very questionable here so
keep that in mind.

Using Corel Draw I imported the SVG file, and exported it as a DWG Autocad
file.

Then, I could import the DWG into MI using Universal Translator.

That's the easy part... Assuming the SVG contains the very least of
geospatial accuracy, and assuming you can associate a point in that data to
a point on the earth, you can then export that data to DXF applying the
coordinate shift required, then re-importing that back into MI (that is a
process that would require a discussion in and of itself).

I have actually applied this technique more to vector PDF's than SVG data,
and when it was the only available data possible.

I would add... This is more of an "arts and crafts" method of GIS than what
we would prefer, but, when it's down and dirty and somebody wants something,
anything, the next alternative might be to use an Etch-A-Sketch.

David Reid

By the way, if you just want to view the SVG, from Windows Explorer, you
could "Open With" Internet Explorer, but you have little or no control on
the view (ie Might exeed screen limits with no scroll bars), one alternative
to that would be to write a quick html file that would view the svg scaled
to the window. Or, obtain a SVG viewer, there's probably plenty freebies
out there.

Apr 7, 2009, 12:14:12 AM4/7/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
David Reid wrote:
> I was hoping Bill Thoen would reply to this thread as I knew he had worked
> in outputting MI mapdata to SVG but I didn't know if a newer version of MI
> supported reading it or not, or if someone had built a tool for importing it
> to MI.

I did respond, but even though I once put a lot of effort into learning
SVG, my fuzzy memory pulled up a frame where SVG == GML, and as Eric
pointed out, that's wrong. There are some similarities, but the MapInfo
GML import support doesn't stretch to include SVG. And in any case the
OP was looking for a SVG to MapInfo function, so the MI2SVG freeware
program I host on my web wouldn't help much.

It's too bad SVG isn't more popular. It's quite neat and it should have
taken off, but I think it's a case where heavily-promoted and actively
developed alternative technology (i.e. Flash) has just blown quaint
little old SVG out of the picture. I think OpenLayers and MapServer use
it, and there are some academics who do some amazing things with it, but
unless there's more interest from the browser builders to support it
properly, I'm afraid it's headed to that place where Beta Max and the
New Coke went to.

-- Bill Thoen

Badari Narayan Kaggadasa Srinivasan

Sep 23, 2015, 1:48:43 AM9/23/15
to MapInfo-L
Can you please send me the Links of how and which software Converts MapInfo Map into SVG