Can point symbols be sized dynamically?

Phil

Jun 20, 2007, 12:37:08 AM6/20/07
to MapInfo-L
Hi,

Was just wondering if there was any way in MapInfo to size a point
symbol dynamically so that when you zoom in or out the symbol changes
size with the zoom (ie: represent the font/symbol size units as map
units such as metres, rather than a fixed font size).

I realise this could be easily done in code by changing the font size
within zoom ranges, but the range of available font size values would
not produce satisfactory screen results as you zoom in or out in a map
window (transitions not smooth).

Thanks,
Phil

Justusson Christer

Jun 20, 2007, 3:07:01 AM6/20/07
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil!

Everything has pros and cons.
Sometimes I've used circles instead of points.

In the MapBasic window type this after you have done a selection.
update Selection set obj=CreateCircle(CentroidX(obj),CentroidY(obj),0.005)
and hit Enter at the end.
0.005 depends on unit

An other way would be to convert labels to text. Use a font that MapInfo use as symbol. Of course you need to update a column which desired symbol character, for example letter ä.

Hope some is of help
Regards Christer

mvh Christer Justusson
GIS-ingenjör

Jun 20, 2007, 7:50:02 PM6/20/07
to MapInfo-L
Thanks Christer,

Circles, polygons and other shape objects have done the business...

On Jun 20, 5:07 pm, "Justusson Christer"