PostGIS support in MapInfo Professional 10.0

Andrei Veselov

May 4, 2009, 1:02:41 PM5/4/09
to MapInfo-L
Hello Listers,

Just a quick note to point out our announcement regarding support for
PostGIS coming in MI Pro v10.

Here is Directions Magazine's take on it:

http://apb.directionsmag.com/archives/5707-MapInfo-Pro-v10-to-Support-PostGIS.html

For additional information check out the PBBI Location Intelligence
Blog at:
http://li.pbbiblogs.com/

The grand unveiling of MI Pro v10 will take place at the Insights
conference in Orlando, in June.

Andrei

Warren Vick

May 4, 2009, 5:43:35 PM5/4/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Andrei,

That's good news. Even better if you include support for EPSG900913 in
v10!

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd.
http://www.europa.uk.com

Richard Greenwood

May 4, 2009, 6:06:05 PM5/4/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Andrei Veselov
<Andrei_...@mapinfo.com> wrote:

> Hello Listers,
>
> Just a quick note to point out our announcement regarding support for
> PostGIS coming in MI Pro v10.
>
> Here is Directions Magazine's take on it:
>
> http://apb.directionsmag.com/archives/5707-MapInfo-Pro-v10-to-Support-PostGIS.html

Quoting from the above link: "MI Pro already supports Microsoft SQL
Server 2008".

I certainly hope that the PostGIS support is better than the existing
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 support!

--
Richard Greenwood
richard....@gmail.com

eric.bl...@pb.com

May 4, 2009, 7:03:42 PM5/4/09
to MapInfo-L
I am not sure how that relates to PostGIS. In fact, I am pretty sure
it does not.

The Popular Mercator will be supported in 10.0 with the EPSG code
3785, which is actually recognized by EPSG! That organization has
never heard of 900913 which kind of makes a laughing stock of the
whole notion of codes, in my opinion.

Eric

On May 4, 5:43 pm, "Warren Vick" <wv...@europa.uk.com> wrote:
> Hello Andrei,
>
> That's good news. Even better if you include support for EPSG900913 in
> v10!
>
> Regards,
> Warren Vick
> Europa Technologies Ltd.http://www.europa.uk.com

Lars I. Nielsen (GisPro)

May 5, 2009, 3:30:30 AM5/5/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

I don't agree that Google made a "laughing stock" of codes for projection, they just - as they always do - challenge the various monopolys in the world. And EPSG is a de-facto monopoly, or rather, has been made to be.

And Google's (mis)use (as mentioned in your mail dated 11/5/08) of the namespace "EPSG" was a de-facto necessity, since no GIS system really supports projection namespaces (at all, i.e. other than "EPSG"). I proposed using "DK:#####" for local Danish projections some years back, but no-one wanted to even consider the idea.

But isn't the "Popular Mercator" (is this the official name?), regardless of its number, not already supported in Pro via custom setup ? And just not predefined in the projections file ?

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Lars I. Nielsen
GIS & DB Integrator
GisPro

Warren Vick

May 5, 2009, 4:37:42 AM5/5/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Is it 3785 or 3857?

Regards,
Warren

May 5, 2009, 4:45:08 AM5/5/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Lars,

I don’t think it is possible to implement “the projection with multiple names and codes” in the current version of Pro as it has a custom sphere (using WGS-84’s semi-major axis). Editing the PRJ only gives the ability to vary supported coordsys’.

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd.
http://www.europa.uk.com