Is it possible to rotate layout frames?

Chris Buchanan

Nov 28, 2006, 11:32:17 AM11/28/06
to MapInfo-L
Hi,

I have a a map that, due to orientation and scale, will not fit in a
standard rectangle. Is it possible to rotate its layout frame so that
North is no longer towards the top of the page?

This is a pretty standard thing to do with geological maps where the
level of detail and the standard outcrop mapping scales do not allow
for North to be pointed towards the top of the page.

I am using MapInfo 7.8 and Discover v. 4.0 to work on these maps.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer.

Regards,
Chris Buchanan

Rob Schneider

Nov 28, 2006, 11:40:18 AM11/28/06
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Can you rotate the paper? (landscape vs portrait)

> .

Ian Farrelly

Nov 28, 2006, 11:52:24 AM11/28/06
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

There is an mbx file called Rotate Map Window which should suit your needs.
I'm not sure if it comes with MapInfo or if I downloaded it from the free
tools on directions mag.

If it comes with MI as standard try the following:

Go to Tools>Run MapBasic Program
Select RotateMapWindow.mbx

Then return to the Tools menu and a new field will appear at the bottom of
the menu called "Rotate Map Window". This will allow you to do what you
describe.

Otherwise, try the Directions mag website:

http://www.directionsmag.com/files/

All the best,

Ian

Ian Farrelly,
Aurum Exploration Ltd.,
Aurum House,
40/41 Watergate Street,
Navan,
Co. Meath,
Ireland.
Tel: 00 353 (0)46 9059959
Fax: 00 353 (0)46 9077936
E-mail: ifar...@aurumexploration.com

Hi,

Regards,
Chris Buchanan

--
This email has passed through an IE Internet MailWall gateway
and has been screened for known viruses, potential viruses and

IE Internet.com MailWall (http://ieinternet.com/mailwall/)

This email has passed through an IE Internet MailWall gateway
and has been screened for known viruses, potential viruses and
malicious code.

IE Internet.com MailWall (http://ieinternet.com/mailwall/)

Evan MacDougall

Nov 28, 2006, 12:05:11 PM11/28/06
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it comes with MapInfo pro 8.5

It's called: RotateMapWindow.MBX

-Evan MacDougall
GIS Supervisor
"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly
change the geography."

SCISOFT

Nov 29, 2006, 10:07:31 AM11/29/06
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
I don't use 8.5 (6.5 is my limit), so I can't experiment.
So it acts on the active Map window, and from that you need to create a
layout separately as usual? That is, it does not act on the layout itself
(and allow the Map to remain as it is?

Reason: rotations can significantly distort.

Is this tool described in any detail in the 8.5 User Guide (which I can
download)?

IL Thomas
GeoSciSoft - Perth, Australia

It's called: RotateMapWindow.MBX

Chris,

http://www.directionsmag.com/files/

All the best,

Hi,

Regards,
Chris Buchanan

6:09 PM

SCISOFT

Nov 29, 2006, 11:02:14 AM11/29/06
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
I see from the 8.5 Supplement that rotation of rasters is now possible (and
the transform method is stated) but again that applies to the Map, not to
the Layout.

I've not taken much notice of the essential difference (Layout vs Map) but I
would think that from a geologist's viewpoint it would be more sensible to
rotate a part-completed Layout, then annotate it with the legend, etc.

Greg

Nov 29, 2006, 5:41:21 PM11/29/06
to MapInfo-L
I have version 7 and the Rotate Map Window is one of the tools offered.
It wont rotate a layout but you can rotate the map before making it a
layout.

SCISOFT

Nov 29, 2006, 11:32:07 PM11/29/06
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Today I've used MapInfo 6.5's RotateMapWindow but at the time v6.5 was
released (2001), the MB sourcecode wasn't available. So there's no
possibility of altering it to rotate a layout, even if that were a viable
proposition.
Thanks for responses on/offlist to my wonderings.

IL Thomas
GeoSciSoft - Perth, Australia

I have version 7 and the Rotate Map Window is one of the tools offered.
It wont rotate a layout but you can rotate the map before making it a
layout.

3:22 PM

Maurice34

Nov 30, 2006, 3:25:04 PM11/30/06
to MapInfo-L

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Dec 5, 2006, 1:55:04 PM12/5/06
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You can't rotate a layout, at least not with this tool or any other tool I know of.
What actual happens when you use the Rotate Map Window is that you change to coordinatesystem of the map window to contain a affine transformation, that actually rotates the vectors of the map.

Also note that text and labels still are horisontal.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
GIS Developer, MTM
Geographical Information & IT

COWI A/S
Odensevej 95
DK-5260 Odense S.
Denmark

Tel +45 6311 4900
Direct +45 6311 4908
Mob +45 5156 1045
Fax +45 6311 4949
E-mail p...@cowi.dk
http://www.cowi.dk/gis

Don

Dec 5, 2006, 4:44:50 PM12/5/06
to MapInfo-L
I use the Rotate Map Window once in a while.

What I do is rotate the Mapper first, then procede with any labelling,
etc.

Don.

SCISOFT

Dec 5, 2006, 7:50:45 PM12/5/06
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter

Yes, I thought that was the situation. Of course the affine transform for
rotation is the way to do a map (and it is even documented, and I believe
that the MB source for RotateMapWindow is supplied with v8 or 8.5).

And Maurice34 pointed me to EasyPlot.

3:20 PM

tukacsagi

Sep 26, 2017, 9:03:05 AM9/26/17
to MapInfo-L

Sorry the page you are looking for does not exist, or it has been moved. Can you repeat the link?