Data Standardization for Demand-Response Transportation

janaef...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2013, 4:03:11 PM10/22/13
to making-gtfs-work-for-...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I am a city planner and architect from the US, and I am managing a project for the Atlanta metro region in the USA (population 4.2 million).  The purpose of the project is to create a web-based transportation resource with information enhanced for target populations on all modes of transportation in the Atlanta metro region, supporting the goal of enabling older adults, people with disabilities, veterans and people with low income to effectively evaluate their transportation options in the Atlanta metro region.

The One-Click will be an enhanced trip planner that provides trip information on both public transit (using GTFS data) and demand-response transportation services (DRT).  One of the more challenging aspects of the project is reconciling a system that is already standardized (public transit) with one that is not (DRT).  Some examples of DRT services include complementary ADA paratransit and non-emergency medical transportation.  One significant difference between the two is that public transit is shown by lines (routes) and points (stops) in GIS/mapping, while DRT is shown as polygons (service areas).  DRT tends to have schedules that very day to day and require daily planning for efficiency with advance notice for booking.  DRT vehicles also tend to be smaller than typical fixed route vehicles (minibus, van, stretcher-equipped vehicle, etc.)

When thinking about these characteristics, I imagine there are international parallels with services that have similar characteristics as DRT.  For instance, when I was working in Philippines and Haiti, I was thinking that the local tap-tap and jeepney services could have some similarities with DRT in terms of deviating from a fixed route.

Does anyone know of initiatives that are considering these areas of international transportation overlap and standardization?  The GTFS for the rest of us event (http://www.gtfsfortherestofus.net/) will be a great opportunity to explore these topics - please let me know if you have ideas!

Many thanks,
Janae

Janae Futrell, M.Sc., M.Arch., LEED AP
Project Coordinator, Transportation Mobility Management

Area Agency on Aging

Atlanta Regional Commission
regional impact + local relevance

40 Courtland Street NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30303-2538

P | 404.463.3525
F | 404.463.3264

JFut...@atlantaregional.com
atlantaregional.com

Stefan de Konink

Oct 22, 2013, 6:57:55 PM10/22/13
to making-gtfs-work-for-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janae,

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:03:11 PM CEST, janaef...@gmail.com wrote:
> please let me know if you have ideas!

Could there DRT be considered as ordinary "taxicab" with maybe some special entrance? I wonder if you could define some sort of "availability heatmap" that defines the service region such DRT operates within and could be used to call at an extra stop.

You explicitly mention that polygons are used for service areas. Could you automatically generate such polygons for a certain trip tomorrow? If so, would you be able to send some examples to the list to get a feeling for daily operation?

Stefan