EU Horizon 2020 Research Project

Andrew Nash

Feb 1, 2014, 4:32:46 AM2/1/14
to making-gtfs-work-for-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the great meeting during TRB. It was very interesting to learn what you are doing with GTFS.

I'm working on developing a proposal for the EU's new Horizon 2020 research program that would use open data to support sustainable transport. Very quickly the idea is to have several cities create consistent API feeds with data on sustainable transport modes (biking, walking, public transport), implement several programs to encourage independent developers to create apps using this data, and share best practices via two international conferences and research reports.

In the sense of this group the idea is to "develop" a "GTFS" for sustainable transport modes, and encourage cities to release data in consistent formats (e.g. Vienna does not provide public transport schedule data in GTFS).

Let me know if you have ideas or might be interested in participating in the project.

Stefan de Konink

Feb 1, 2014, 7:26:59 AM2/1/14
On Saturday, February 1, 2014 10:32:46 AM CEST, Andrew Nash wrote:
> Let me know if you have ideas or might be interested in
> participating in the project.

Instead of getting money out of every EU grant that is available (and run
away when this money stream is over). You might have more succes in
participating in existing projects with did exactly the same as you
propose, but since their money ran out, are dead in the water.

https://github.com/waagsociety/citysdk

Stefan

Andrew Nash

Feb 2, 2014, 2:01:31 AM2/2/14
to making-gtfs-work-for-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information. The SDK project sounds great, here's a good link to the mobility part: http://www.citysdk.eu/mobility/

I have no desire to re-invent the wheel. The project I'm thinking about would extend the SDK work and attempt to create critical mass for making open mobility data and app development self sustaining.

tay...@itpworld.net

Feb 3, 2014, 5:47:26 AM2/3/14
to making-gtfs-work-for-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew  - we met at the GTFS in the World event in Washington a couple of weeks ago, and I think your project idea is interesting and could build on the work of the CitySDK Mobility team.

Stefan - do you know if the team that participated in the CitySDK project has plans to seek funding through Horizon 2020 to continue the good work they have started? I'd also be interested to know what uptake has been like since the project finished (e.g. Are the existing cities working with the SDK?  Are other cities using it?)

Either way, I'd be interested in helping to explore and frame a project that looks to expand on the CitySDK Mobility APIs to integrate Bike, Walk, Car Share, Car Club, Bike Hire and Transit information alongside real-time traffic data sources in a standardised and interchangeable format.

Cheers
Neil