looking for a mac wizard

lasheno...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2016, 3:32:31 PM2/8/16
to makerspaceca
hello makerspace folks, i thought i'd ask if anyone is or knows someone who could do some repairs/troubleshooting on my macbook pro, i could trade blacksmithing or woodwork or just cash and eternal gratitude... thanks -lashen

Chris Stone

Feb 8, 2016, 11:41:54 PM2/8/16
to makerspaceca
I'm not a mac wizard, but a little description of the problem would help.

Aaron Henderson

Feb 9, 2016, 5:43:47 PM2/9/16
to makerspaceca
I've done quite a bit of work on Macbook Pro's and Macbook Air. Happy to help if you send more details.
Cheers,
Aaron

Kevin Battersby

Feb 10, 2016, 2:31:37 PM2/10/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com

Can you describe what the miscreant bit of technology is doing or not doing?
--
Regards,
Kevin

lasheno...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2016, 11:49:23 AM2/11/16
to makerspaceca
hey all, thanks for the responses,
when i turn it on it just gets stuck on the screen with the grey apple logo and the spinning bars. Armon has been helping me a bit, i ve tried reseting the NVRAM and also accessing the drive through disk utility, but it says that the drive is corrupted and cant be repaired. Armon has suggested that i get a new harddrive and transfer my data via a usb connector so we are working on tracking a connector cable down. but basically it seems my hard drive is dying or needs to be re formatted. this was the computer i use for audio recording and digital art so my goal is to get it back to a state where i can use it for that again.

Aaron Henderson

Feb 11, 2016, 12:06:56 PM2/11/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
I've had a similar issue in the past with my 2008 Macbook Pro. My problem was with some failing memory chips and faulty chip slots. However, since you've found drive corruption then that's a pretty likely cause. I recently upgraded to an SSD drive and threw my old drive into an external case (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FZIZZDE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00).  Here's what I put in it's place (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00RQA6TEI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00).  Now it's way faster. Definitely recommend it and it's super easy to swap them out.

Aaron