Metal bandsaw

Lindsay Mitchell

Sep 21, 2015, 4:48:58 PM9/21/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com

Hey all,
So I took a look at the bandsaw and the gear is badly ground down, which is why it has been catching and skipping.

If anyone who is mechanically handy has an idea of how to pull out and replace this gear that would be great.

Thanks
Lindsay

DSC_0503.JPG
DSC_0504.JPG

Pete Presant

Sep 21, 2015, 5:22:06 PM9/21/15
to makerspaceca, lindsays...@gmail.com
I can have a look this week when I come in if someone doesn't beat me to it.

pete

Derek Jacoby

Sep 21, 2015, 5:24:45 PM9/21/15
to makerspaceca, lindsay mitchell
Awesome, thanks Pete!

(BTW. Grant happens to be in today and we were talking about the wall needed in the woodshop to keep the dust away from the CNC machine. I told him to go ahead and steal some of the framing lumber from the recording studio pile if he wants to build that wall this afternoon. I'll check in in the morning and see if I need to pick up some more before I go out of town...)

Thx,

Derek

Message has been deleted

Brandon S

Sep 22, 2015, 1:20:35 AM9/22/15
to makerspaceca, lindsays...@gmail.com
I was there tonight, took shaft and bronze gear out. Bearings are all good. Worm gear on shaft is good. Sacrificial bronze driven gear needs to be replaced. Here is one on amazon if one is not available locally

That one could have an incorrect keyway but we can make a stepped adapter key, no big deal

Appears as if bandsaw blade guides (rollers on cams) were a little too tight, chips likely bound up with them and created a lot more load on gears and contributed to them failing. I'm not sure tho, just my $.02

Shaft is with parts with bearing spacers in correct order, I can put together too.

Brandon

Derek Jacoby

Sep 22, 2015, 1:23:57 AM9/22/15
to makerspaceca, lindsay mitchell
Thanks Brandon!

(first message came through as well, btw. Sometimes takes a few minutes for the list to relay things, and it does not send them to your email from the list if you are the sender.)

Tyler Rivard

Sep 22, 2015, 2:25:20 AM9/22/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Princess auto has this same part for their clone of the 7x12 saw. Cost is only $35, but they don't know if it will take a week or a month to order in. I've also emailed general tools to see if they have the part in stock.

Kc Petersen

Sep 22, 2015, 2:54:06 AM9/22/15
to makerspaceca
If you go the princess auto route I get a 20% discount with them

Tyler Rivard

Oct 4, 2015, 7:30:28 PM10/4/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Update on the bandsaw...
I ordered this http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/worm-gear-for-3460015/A-p7340125e on the 22nd of September. It should be here in about one more week. In the meantime does anyone want to help me fix up the base it is on? The original stand is really sloppy and usually has only three wheels on the ground at any time. Maybe just welding the seams, instead of bolting, and reinforcing where the hydraulic ram connects is all it needs.

-Tyler

Pete Presant

Oct 5, 2015, 10:37:59 PM10/5/15
to makerspaceca
Sure - I can ride shotgun on the repair if you need help. Just email me with some possible times.

Tyler Rivard

Oct 6, 2015, 1:43:05 AM10/6/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
I'll be at the open house. If you were going to be around then I'll show you what I had in mind.