Robbed!

Derek Jacoby

Feb 17, 2016, 6:57:30 PM2/17/16
to makerspaceca, <board@makerspace.ca>, Admin Makerspace
I'm afraid Makerspace was the victim of a break and enter on Sunday morning.

At about 7:08AM a green chevy 4x4 pickup truck with a tonneau cover backed up to the outside shed, cut the lock with a pair of bolt cutters, and loaded up with our oxy-acetylene welder, the big old Miller arc welder that was out there, and a few assorted odds and ends.

Unfortunately, the camera images were not clear enough to get a picture of his license plate.

When I came in at 2 and sent the mail asking folks to remember to lock up the metal shed I didn't notice them missing until I was giving the tour last night at open house and tried to point to the oxy-acetylene welder.

Pictures and videos of the thief are below. If you recognize him or have any information at all please let me know. I have the complete video if anyone wants it, but it's in a cumbersome format so I've just posted some clips.

We're going to have to make some security changes. This sucks. Will try to make things as unobtrusive as possible, but we'll have to get a bit tougher to steal from. I'm glad he only got into the metal shed and not into the main building. Please be extra observant that the main door closes behind you and isn't propped open when the last person leaves.

Thanks,

Derek

Nic Hume

Feb 17, 2016, 7:01:20 PM2/17/16
to makerspaceca, <board@makerspace.ca>, Admin Makerspace
Well... Bollocks...

Is it OK to share these video clips publicly / on Facebook?

Derek Jacoby

Feb 17, 2016, 7:02:39 PM2/17/16
to makerspaceca, <board@makerspace.ca>, Admin Makerspace
fine with me. I'd love to catch the scumbag...

Vanessa Pattison

Feb 17, 2016, 7:13:02 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com, <board@makerspace.ca>, Admin Makerspace
I can post this on social media too - are there any photos of any of the equipment, or pics of similar you can send me? Any identifying features?! As much info as possible is great. There are various welding items on usedvictoria at the moment but I cannot identify anything myself. Obviously if you see what you think might be 'it' listed, share with Derek FIRST and do not contact them. Can VITP security supply any more footage that might catch the plate from another camera?
Vanessa Pattison

Mark

Feb 17, 2016, 7:29:28 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com, <board@makerspace.ca>, Admin Makerspace

Unless this is a new piece of equipment, I have a photo... somewhere.

There's no way this guy can get away.

Car people, what's that truck?

vince geisler

Feb 17, 2016, 7:32:46 PM2/17/16
to Derek Jacoby, makerspaceca, <board@makerspace.ca>, Admin Makerspace
I'd love to do more than catch.. If i catch him he will need Nic's services and an ICU.

Mark

Feb 17, 2016, 7:36:14 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com, <board@makerspace.ca>, Admin Makerspace

vince geisler

Feb 17, 2016, 7:37:42 PM2/17/16
to makerspaceca
YUP!

Tyler Rivard

Feb 17, 2016, 7:45:22 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
The welder was a Miller Econo Twin. Here's a pic of the same model: http://yabe.chudov.com/Miller-Econo-Twin/Miller-Econo-Twin-0001.jpg.html Only identifying features I can think of would be inside of it from when I rewired it for 208v supply, and even then it would just be a few pen marks and new zip ties.

Tyler Rivard

Feb 17, 2016, 7:47:12 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Wow that's great Mark. Only the second one is gone, the challenger 172 was inside thankfully.

Nic Hume

Feb 17, 2016, 7:51:23 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
This is just a brainstorm on my part, but the guy who pulls up seems to know exactly where to pull up, and that he will only need a bolt cutter to get through the gate… That suggests to me that he made at least one recon trip prior to Sunday…

Has anyone gone back through old video footage to see if there are better images of him, the truck, or a different vehicle that he may have been in??

Lindsay Mitchell

Feb 17, 2016, 7:59:54 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
What a shit head. I'm going to check Used Victoria if anyone wants to give pawn shops a shout. I hate to suggest it but also wondering if Camosun Interurban has been notified, since they are close by and there's a metal working program there.

On 2016-02-17 04:37 PM, vince geisler wrote:
YUP!

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Mark <ma...@mediawizard.ca> wrote:
<mime-attachment.jpg>

http://remotepointcontrol.com/images/equipment/33.jpg
<mime-attachment.jpg>

Derek Jacoby

Feb 17, 2016, 8:01:55 PM2/17/16
to makerspaceca
Good thought, Lindsay, I also wonder if they have a camera or plate reader on that entrance.

Lindsay Mitchell

Feb 17, 2016, 8:04:15 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Possible for sure. I was also thinking that if we have a spare security camera to mount outside the building, somewhere obvious, and a sign says that the area is under surveillance… Even if the security camera is not hooked up it would be a pretty good deterrent along with a sign.

Tyler Rivard

Feb 17, 2016, 8:05:06 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
That's a good point. Derek in the full video does he pull up, get out with bolt cutters, and get to work, or does he have a look to see if there is anything worth grabbing and then decide to get out the bold cutters? Also is there video of him driving into or out of the park from other cameras? I suspect they would all be just a blurry, but worth checking for a plate.

Also thanks to Mark's picture, and after some colour curve tweaks, the serial number of the welder can be read as HD724740.

Derek Jacoby

Feb 17, 2016, 8:09:03 PM2/17/16
to makerspaceca
Oh great! We should add that to the police report, Sandy can you do that?

He does get out, briefly look and at the lock only and then grab the bolt cutters. He knew exactly what was there.

No other park camera caught him, he came in from the camosun side.

I've started uploading the full video. The application needed to view it is also uploading. Both will be in the same google drive folder. Gotta run, be back soon.

Vanessa Pattison

Feb 17, 2016, 8:09:25 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Oh that pic was that actual one stolen? SWEET! Well done Tyler! I'm working just near Barclays exchange so I'll pop over there just now and I'll share the serial no online too!

Mark

Feb 17, 2016, 8:15:55 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
thief.jpg

Eric Davies

Feb 17, 2016, 8:50:54 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
That one camera identifies what the truck and the person roughly looked like, and it identifies the time of the event. Are there other cameras at the tech park the thief would have driven past to reach this point, ones that might have gotten a better look given you know what to look for and what time window?

Knowing the height of nearby objects in the photos, can the height of the thief be estimated? The length and height of the truck?
Eric Davies

Nic Hume

Feb 17, 2016, 8:56:49 PM2/17/16
to makerspaceca
A friend of mine is "pretty sure" that the truck is a Chevy Silverado standard cab truck.

The Chevy logo is clearly visible on the front, and the model appears to match up to google pics.

Kc Petersen

Feb 17, 2016, 9:15:23 PM2/17/16
to makerspaceca, bo...@makerspace.ca, ad...@makerspace.ca
that truck IS a 2003 - 2007 Chevy (not GMC as they had a more round front profile) 1500 pickup standard cab. with hard tonneau cover and 4x4 logo on the side it is quite unique. not completely, but fairly.

Vanessa Pattison

Feb 17, 2016, 9:30:24 PM2/17/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com, bo...@makerspace.ca, ad...@makerspace.ca
So I work near Barclays Exchange (http://www.barclays-exchange.com/) and dropped in before they shut. It's not there, but I spoke with Paul there and they send all the serials to VicPD routinely. They would basically just allow the item to be dropped off for sale, but then obviously not put it out for sale and share the store's camera footage etc. If you email them at barcla...@shaw.ca with the full details, serial and police report no, they will look out for it! It may be unlikely that it will get pawned as this is likely standard but worth circulating them all for sure, given you have all the critical info.

Now would seem like an ideal time to get cataloguing all the larger equipment and noting serial numbers asap (if not already done) in case there are any future incidents :-/

Cheers, V

Michael Ballem

Feb 18, 2016, 12:13:21 AM2/18/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com, Admin Makerspace, <board@makerspace.ca>

That's really shit, glad there's at least some footage to go by.  I'll keep an eye out on used Vic. Since we know the time of the robbery can we perhaps talk to security (if not already done) and see if they have anything with better resolution? In the mean time I'd be happy to donate that sears arc welder that is in the back room, hasn't been used in a few years but it should work. Will need leads. Also I am happy to help beef up the security on the outside shed.

Derek Jacoby

Feb 18, 2016, 12:16:11 AM2/18/16
to makerspaceca, Admin Makerspace, <board@makerspace.ca>
Thanks Brij!

Thanks, Mike. It is shit. The footage is from tech park security and they drove in from Camosun, so didn't get caught on any other VITP cameras. I'll be checking with Camosun tomorrow, but driving out this afternoon I didn't see any camosun cameras that would have caught him. Appreciate the arc welder.. that will be a great stop-gap until we get Mike Hattingh's big machine up and running.

Derek Jacoby

Feb 18, 2016, 12:50:13 PM2/18/16
to makerspaceca, Admin Makerspace, <board@makerspace.ca>
Has anyone put up posters around Makerspace and VITP? If so, could you please take them down and correct them? I've just received email from VITP security that the phone number for them on the poster is incorrect...

"Your poster with our security phone number has the incorrect number. The number is 250.483.3215"

Thanks!

Derek

Mark

Feb 18, 2016, 1:40:43 PM2/18/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com, <board@makerspace.ca>, Admin Makerspace

I made a poster of sorts.  Please share on the net wherever you think it may help.  It's been reviewed by Makerspace and is ok to use.

There must be very few green trucks like this.  Of note is the 4x4 decal - that's pretty unique on this vehicle.

Let's get 'em.

Thanks,

Mark
Makerspace_Welder_Theft.pdf

Vanessa Pattison

Feb 18, 2016, 1:52:27 PM2/18/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. It's on our FB page if you'd like to share there :-)

Kc Petersen

Feb 18, 2016, 3:06:58 PM2/18/16
to makerspaceca, bo...@makerspace.ca, ad...@makerspace.ca
you had me questioning my eyesight for a moment. that truck looks black to me.

Derek Jacoby

Feb 18, 2016, 3:09:01 PM2/18/16
to makerspaceca, <board@makerspace.ca>, Admin Makerspace
Sigh, yeah, poor colour rendering and the first one is before the light was good enough to be recording in colour. The truck is actually dark green.

Kc Petersen

Feb 19, 2016, 5:39:31 PM2/19/16
to makerspaceca
That's kind of a good thing. There's a million black Chevy's. Dark green not so much.

Michael Ballem

Feb 20, 2016, 8:45:54 PM2/20/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com

So I'm happy to donate a stick welder (perhaps keep it inside until security issues are addressed, does anybody have some cables laying around ? Need ground as well as electrode holder. If not perhaps Makerspace can invest in some ? Thanks,
-Mike