vacuum chamber?

clayb...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2015, 4:03:37 PM9/28/15
to makerspaceca
Hi all. I'm wanting to do some resin/silcone castings and was wanting 5o know if we had a vacuum chamber that would be adaquit for that use.
If not I'm on board for building one big enough to do small jobs like hand sized stuff. Also am interested in pressure pots for clear resins.

Any and all advice is appreciated

Thanks Clayton

Derek Jacoby

Sep 28, 2015, 4:05:12 PM9/28/15
to makerspaceca
Hi Clayton,

Don't currently have one, but I'm up for helping to build one. Can use my vacuum pump. I need to be able to vacuum form something helmet sized by the end of the year or so...

Thx,

Derek

clayb...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2015, 4:34:55 PM9/28/15
to makerspaceca
Well what do you think of this idea.
I already have stuff to build the chamber I.e. heavy Lexan for the lid, fittings, vacuum gauge etc.
I am needing a pot that will fit the large disposable paint mixing containers and I also need some gasket material for the lid.

So how about I build and donate the pot and you can loan me the vacuum pump.

Sound good?
That way if it implodes on the test run you got no skin off of your teeth?
I can always buy a pump for myself down the road

Derek Jacoby

Sep 28, 2015, 4:36:55 PM9/28/15
to makerspaceca
You bet, sounds great to me!

clayb...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2015, 4:40:12 PM9/28/15
to makerspaceca
Sounds good.

You can always give me a ring at 250-888-0836
I work nights 3-11 and I'm most early mornings with my son.
So don't be afraid to holler at me

Derek Jacoby

Sep 28, 2015, 4:44:08 PM9/28/15
to makerspaceca
Sounds good. I'm at 250-220-0467. I'll leave the vaccum pump by the door to my workshop, just let me know whenever you get to that point...

Thx,

Derek

clayb...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2015, 3:34:40 PM9/29/15
to makerspaceca
Hey Derek

What's the fitting size on the vaccum pump?
1/4" flare? Acme thread?

Derek Jacoby

Sep 29, 2015, 3:36:18 PM9/29/15
to makerspaceca
1/4" flare. I've just been pressing on 1/4" tubing.