GIS?? Embedded C??

Jim Cliffe

Mar 17, 2015, 12:31:59 AM3/17/15
to makerspaceca

I've dabbled in both C programming for embedded systems and in Geographical Information Systems. Both areas are things I'd like to learn more about and I'd like to take a sounding on interest from other folks.

C programming has an obvious application to what we're doing in the Makerspace already. It's an obvious extension of Arduino work. I've learned the basics of working with AVR MCU's and would like to learn more. Has anyone done any work like this, and would be willing to share?

GIS is a powerful method for visualizing data. It's a basic of almost all citizen-science projects. There's an amateur radio application, APRS, for plotting and visualizing objects and assets that is really interesting and useful. I've played with Quantum GIS, but I'm having a hard time with the basics. Again, if there's anyone willing to share information, it would be great to hear.

Yours hopefully...

Jim Cliffe
Victoria, BC
48˚ 57'N 123˚ 13'W

Derek Jacoby

Mar 17, 2015, 12:47:10 AM3/17/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com, Dhalie Patara
I've been hoping to talk Dhalie into teaching a GIS workshop. She's in a master's program studying that right now. This may still be in the midst of crunch time for her, though.

Fair number of folks with C experience in the group. I've got a decent C background, although it's gotten a bit rusty since I spend so much time in higher level languages recently. Not sure exactly how to help, but I think the list is a decent resource for questions... and I'd love to see what kind of things you're making!

I still have this little dream that I don't have time to pursue right now of throwing a cheap lidar on a quadcopter to do terrain mapping of rock climbing sites. http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/lidar-lite-laser-rangefinder.html

Derek

Dhalie Patara

Mar 17, 2015, 4:26:55 PM3/17/15
to Derek Jacoby, makers...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm glad to hear there's interest in GIS at makerspace. I should clarify, I'm not in a master's program, the program is Advanced Diploma in GIS from Vancouver Island University https://www2.viu.ca/adgisa/ - it's a great program and I'm learning quite a bit about using ArcGIS software by ESRI. I've just started this January, and it's an intensive program. I'll have a break between Jun and Aug and would definitely be open to sharing GIS knowledge then.

In the meantime, there is also a local GIS conference coming up http://www.esri.ca/en/content/esri-canada-user-conference-victoria-2015 that I would recommend attending to learn more about ArcGIS and to hear some interesting speakers.

A great way to jumpstart your GIS skills is to download a trial version of ArcGIS and enrol in some of the online free training courses. http://www.esri.com/training/main

Cheers
Dhalie

Dhalie Patara

Business Development, Revolution 3D Printers

1-877-269-5510, ext 102

Dhalie...@Revolution3DPrinters.com

Revolution 3D Printers - Infinite Possibilities

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are strictly privileged and confidential, intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately from your system and notify us by email ad...@revolution3Dprinters.com

Jim Cliffe

Mar 18, 2015, 5:49:06 PM3/18/15
to makerspaceca
Thanks Dhalie. I've looked at ArcGIS in the past, but I didn't know enough about the underlying principles to get very far. (Not just with that system. I ran into the same trouble with Quantum and some of the Linux packages I looked at.) A tutorial package will probably help a lot.

Still, if you ever do set up a course, I'll be there!

Jim Cliffe
Victoria, BC
48˚ 57'N 123˚ 13'W

Jim Cliffe

Mar 18, 2015, 5:53:38 PM3/18/15
to makerspaceca
As for the C questions, I'm mostly looking for information on the tool chain. I can slog my way through the language, sorta'. But I'm relying on default settings for Code::Blocks to get the code into the chip. I can do it with the basic AVRdude command line as well, but a make file is way over my head.

Is there anyone out there who'd like to get together for a chat / brainstorming group?

Jim Cliffe
Victoria, BC
48˚ 57'N 123˚ 13'W

Derek Jacoby

Mar 18, 2015, 6:24:41 PM3/18/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, that gets gnarly! When Aras and I were working on the quadcopter project I remember figuring out how to get that all set up, but it was a hassle. I eventually used the guide on getting it all running in eclipse. I think this is the one I followed: http://playground.arduino.cc/code/eclipse

I'm not sure how much help I'll be on that, though, honestly. In the intervening 3 years I may have repressed all the details of that configuration mess.

Jim Cliffe

Mar 19, 2015, 1:34:18 PM3/19/15
to makerspaceca
Sounds like more than a few projects I've had at work. :(

Jim Cliffe
Victoria, BC
48˚ 57'N 123˚ 13'W