Kickstarter find: Consumer 3D printer

damien...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2014, 12:03:11 AM4/12/14
to makers...@googlegroups.com

Eric Davies

Apr 12, 2014, 4:24:51 PM4/12/14
to makers...@googlegroups.com
I was initially very excited by it, but the long timeline and their secrecy about the design interfered with my ability to accept their marketing claims at face value:
  1.  Is a carbon fibre rod self lubricating because of the carbon dust or will it just be a rough pitted plastic surface? Anybody know?
  2. What is their sensor feedback system and how would it compensate for wear?
  3. How will their software be more consumer oriented than anybody elses.
I am reminded of how cars on car lots had (at one time) stickers that said, "comes with ADM" which was supposed a great feature but was actually an abbreviation for "additional dealer markup".

Apparently, one of their optimizations is that the whole things snaps together, there is only one screw during assembly. I distrust cases like that because it's a real pain to take them apart when you need to fix something. And I have yet to hear about a 3D printer that didn't need fixing.

Eric.

Eric Davies