waterbears

Derek Jacoby

Mar 13, 2015, 3:37:08 PM3/13/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com

How cool. We should have a waterbear hunt sometime. Have folks bring in some water samples and we’ll get the microscopes out to try and find some. I bet even the inspection scope in the electronics area has enough magnification to see them. I need more free time in my life..

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150313-the-toughest-animals-on-earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5fg64rmFHE&feature=youtu.be&t=15m19s

Brian White

Mar 13, 2015, 11:21:43 PM3/13/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Rotifers, stentor and bursaria are very neat too.  Volvox is really beautiful.  I have only seen 2 water bears ever! and thousands of the other thingys.  Supposedly moss has lots of water bears but I have never been lucky finding them.  So don't be disappointing if you don't find them.

Jim Cliffe

Mar 16, 2015, 6:31:30 AM3/16/15
to makerspaceca

New much magnification would you need to see them?

Jim Cliffe
Victoria, B.C.

Derek Jacoby

Mar 16, 2015, 9:55:42 AM3/16/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com

100x gets you very nice images.

Jim Cliffe

Mar 18, 2015, 5:56:28 PM3/18/15
to makerspaceca
We've got an inspection scope at work. I think I'll start bringing in wet moss.

Jim Cliffe
Victoria, BC
48˚ 57'N 123˚ 13'W

Brian White