Email hosting providers?

Arthur

Apr 9, 2014, 4:41:39 PM4/9/14
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

My email is having problems again (bouncing messages) and they don't respond to contact attempts, so I'd like to change providers, hopefully to someone in BC, or ideally on the Island.

Has anyone had good experiences with an ISP offering email-only hosting which can be linked to, e.g. mycustomdomain.ca ?  I don't need website hosting, I'm hoping to keep costs down.

I'd also prefer a host that can funnel email to any random address @thedomain.ca to a central "catchall" emailbox.

Thanks everyone!
Arthur

Nic Hume

Apr 9, 2014, 4:43:15 PM4/9/14
to makerspaceca
... Do you have objections to Gmail?  I've been using gmail, tied to @nichume.ca and one of my work accounts for years with no issue.

Yes, there's occasional uptime issues, but they're pretty minimal, it's free, has the option for very reasonably priced storage upgrades if you need them, excellent spam filters, etc...

Just my $0.02...

Nic Hume
[C] 250.661.0822
[E] Nic....@gmail.com

Dave P.

Apr 9, 2014, 5:14:08 PM4/9/14
to makers...@googlegroups.com
As Nic mentioned, you can use gmail:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/tEaJstfhzeI

You will need to prove to Google you own the domain, so you'll have to have a physical website at least temporarily. I use Hostgator, which is slow, but cheap/reliable ($8/month for single domain). I don't like Goddaddy, but they are cheap and good bandwidth (about the same price). If you're technically inclined, https://www.gandi.net/hosting/ has $4/month but it's nonstandard - I've only read about it, I've never used it. Unfortunately, you can't trust online reviews - it's too easy for someone to just say 'it's great' so as to get affiliate income...

Another alternative is free hosting - do a search on 'free hosting' and check them out. Many display ads, which won't be an issue for you. With a quick review, I found two that looked interesting: http://www.biz.nf/ and http://www.freehostingeu.com/

Hope this helps.

Tyler Rivard

Apr 9, 2014, 5:46:49 PM4/9/14
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at islandnet.com. Their servers are in Langford, and when I was using them a few years ago the customer service was about the best of any company I've ever dealt with. I'm currently using namespro.ca, who is much cheaper, and still good.

-Tyler

Eric Davies

Apr 9, 2014, 6:00:37 PM4/9/14
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Islandnet's customer service is excellent in my experience.

However, their mail service isn't the most stable. At work, we use it and complain about it every so often. I much prefer gmail.

Eric Davies

Mark Sutin

Apr 9, 2014, 6:20:44 PM4/9/14
to makers...@googlegroups.com
I've been using baremetal.com for about 12 years now, and they are super.

-  Mark Sutin
778 922 1994

Mark Sutin

Apr 9, 2014, 7:08:20 PM4/9/14
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Further to the previous email, baremental is on the island, and you get total management of your email. Also really good customer service.

-  Mark Sutin
778 922 1994