book scanner

Derek Jacoby

Nov 16, 2012, 1:27:32 PM11/16/12
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Oh, another project I don't actually have time to take on right now.
This looks like a nice scanner design.

Being in the midst of my last class at uvic I have less need of this
than I did, but textbook prices are ludicrous and I've dreamed for a
couple years about a scheme to mess with that.

Could be a good way to spur on-campus folks to come play with us...

http://hackaday.com/2012/11/16/google-books-team-open-sources-their-book-scanner/

David Piercey

Nov 16, 2012, 3:23:45 PM11/16/12
to makers...@googlegroups.com
I've thought about a book scanner for a while now, though camera based and manual....hmm.
Message has been deleted

Derek Jacoby

Apr 29, 2015, 12:09:37 PM4/29/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
did not. I'm still interested, but haven't had time. Daniel just retired from one of the better open source scanner projects and passed the torch to someone else. There are 4 or 5 kits left at $1200 a pop. I suspect we could do a pass the hat for half that if there was enough interest. I don't think I have time to take on a from-scratch build this summer, though, but I'd love to help and support if someone else does.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:45 PM, katharine ann <kathar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Did you do anything further with the book scanner?  I want to make one.
Kate

Arthur

Apr 29, 2015, 5:17:53 PM4/29/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Are you looking to make one similar to:

http://www.diybookscanner.org/archivist/

(which uses cameras to capture a full page at a time)

Or are you looking for single-line scanning like flatbed scanners or fax machines?
Message has been deleted