Garden City Aquaponics needs your help!

Steve McArthur

Mar 8, 2016, 7:55:42 PM3/8/16
to makerspaceca
Hi everyone! Aquaponic Greenhouses here, with a new name!

Garden City Aquaponics needs help in construction of a new component of our greenhouse: a radial flow filter, much like the attached picture! Can anyone help? We're thinking of building it out of PVC; does anyone have experience welding PVC together?

We'll pay for all the materials, and labour @ $20.17/hr.

~Steve R McArthur
Design Strategist and Innovation Catalyst
Garden City Aquaponics
radial-flow-settler-60.jpg

Eric Davies

Mar 8, 2016, 9:23:11 PM3/8/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
I'll be curious to hear how you get that cone shape. I take it the idea is to slow down the water so it can't carry as much sediment, and then the sediment drops down the cone.

Eric Davies

Steve McArthur

Mar 9, 2016, 2:35:55 AM3/9/16
to makerspaceca
Hi Eric,
That's right; that is indeed how it works.

Craig Carmichael

Mar 9, 2016, 12:33:18 PM3/9/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Plumbing cement for PVC should work fine (any plumbing/building
supply store). Or methylene chloride... or is it methyl-ethyl ketone
for PVC? (Industrial Plastics or ?). Both of them soften and dissolve
the plastic a bit, then the solvent evaporates and the pieces become
solid again, well bonded together.

You can soften PVC in the oven at around 225 degrees F and bend it to
any shape while it's hot.

Craig

=====

>Hi Eric,
>That's right; that is indeed how it works.
>

>On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 6:23:11 PM UTC-8, Eric Davies wrote:
>
>I'll be curious to hear how you get that cone shape. I take it the
>idea is to slow down the water so it can't carry as much sediment,
>and then the sediment drops down the cone.
>
>On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Steve McArthur
><<javascript:>srmca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Hi everyone! Aquaponic Greenhouses here, with a new name!
>
>Garden City Aquaponics needs help in construction of a new component
>of our greenhouse: a radial flow filter, much like the attached
>picture! Can anyone help? We're thinking of building it out of PVC;
>does anyone have experience welding PVC together?
>
>We'll pay for all the materials, and labour @ $20.17/hr.
>

>~Steve R McArthur
>Design Strategist and Innovation Catalyst
>Garden City Aquaponics
>250-686-4047
><javascript:>srmca...@gmail.com
>
>--
>

>--
>
>Eric Davies
>250 595-0639

Brian White

Mar 9, 2016, 12:48:26 PM3/9/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
could you build the cone from fiberglass?  (just use a 60 degree sheet metal cone as a form).  I think cyclones (at least the ones with air for dust collection)  have fairly tight specs and you might not get your cone  accurate enough with pvc. I think that if your cone has an oval cross section (even slightly) the settlement will be greatly reduced.     I don't think you should weld up a large structure.  Keep it modular in case you need to tweak the design. Pressed fitted components so they are interchangable.  You could connect firerglass onto pipe fittings and build the pipe fitting into the fiberglass.

Steve McArthur

Mar 9, 2016, 3:37:50 PM3/9/16
to makerspaceca
Hi GaiaTechnician, I like your idea about keeping it modular. Would you want to help build it? And if so, when would you be available?
~Steve