Asseto and oculus

Derek Jacoby

Apr 15, 2015, 5:28:15 PM4/15/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com

Wow. That is all.

And crashes are nauseating. Kind of like real life, but with fewer bruises.

Derek Jacoby

Apr 15, 2015, 5:38:42 PM4/15/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Fascinating. On the drive home, I kept reaching for the stick shift. My van is an automatic. I used to drive stick all the time, but have had this van over a year.

Maybe that's the real test of engagement - how long it takes to click back into the real world.

Chris Stone

Apr 15, 2015, 6:36:41 PM4/15/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
You got it working? Awesome, the article I read must have been outdated. Did you step out of the car?

Derek Jacoby

Apr 15, 2015, 6:43:16 PM4/15/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Didn't actually step out, but I poked my head out the window and could almost feel the breeze in my hair! Turning around and looking at the engine is pretty cool too.

No real trick, just set it to start in extended mode with the rift as the primary display, set oculus in the video settings in Assetto, set it to 1920x1024 75Hz, and go! I had a bit of problems with the video setting seeming washed out - the oculus doesn't seem to like the contrast between a sunny day outside the car and a dark car interior. Making it a cloudy day helped with that, but I'm sure there are other ways to tweak it.

Exiting is a bit of a trick. The top button on the gearshift changes views and the one to the right just below that is set to exit the race. Rather abruptly.

Heads up displays aren't usable, unfortunately, but they aren't too essential.

Mark

Apr 15, 2015, 11:13:19 PM4/15/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com

I had a chance to try it. When "Go" was clicked, the headset was on the table, so when I put it on, my viewpoint was like looking out the sunroof. I looked in through the passenger window. Through the tint and curve distortion I could see the gearshift and steering wheel move. Then driving omg
Well its ahh, what can one say ?