CAD software for MAkerspace

3D Warren

Apr 10, 2014, 9:30:10 AM4/10/14
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I have been looking into different CAD solutions for not only myself but others as well. I am asked regularly about the CAD programs I use.
 I am using 3D systems Geomagic design elements it is an expert version of the software (>$600)allowing for greater functionality in terms of import and export file options. They do as well have a home use version with many of the same features for under $50. this software is very versatile especially when coupled with the 3D aspect of CAD as it is setup especially for 3D printing. I would like to recommend that Makerspace get this software for a few reasons.
1: I use it so I could start courses almost immediately for anyone interested in doing some CAD work.
2: It is not a student version and the cost is more than reasonable
3: 3D systems which now owns Geomagic and Alibre is a 3d printing company and therefore the product is geared towards 3d printing
4: I have tried to print many files that were exported from other programs and run into constant problems with non manifold parts and errors, also other CAD programs typically use high resolution which is not necessary for 3d printing.

See this page for comparison of the consumer versions of CAD available: http://cubify.com/en/Products/CompareSoftware

I think that the $49 price tag is reasonable as a "starter" software, the next step up software($199)allows for DXF format which is useful for the Laser as well.

Cheers,
Warren