3d printer... booking?

Jarren Butterworth

Jan 27, 2016, 9:12:01 PM1/27/16
to makerspaceca
With the laser we had a booking system, which made sense with a popular piece of equipment that's use could sometimes take up hours.  The 3d printer seems very similar in that respect, but there's no real booking system.  I'm only getting into using it now, but I've been avoiding coming up to do a quick print because "what if someone's using it right now for a 3 hour job??".

Is there even an informal system right now?  How do people manage to do longer jobs on it without creating wasted commutes for others?  Just show up and hope it's free, otherwise schlep back home?

Arthur

Jan 27, 2016, 11:28:37 PM1/27/16
to makerspaceca
How about we go back to booking on the Makerspace calendar? I hear that worked well for the lasercutter, especially with the policy that bookings had priority over casual use.

I can make a shortened "goo.gl" link for the calendar, and put that on the "business-card-style" slips I've been making (and post it on the 3D printer), if people think that's a good idea.

Is anyone against using the Makerspace calendar for booking (at least until the new booking system is up)?

Jason Cummer

Jan 28, 2016, 12:17:18 AM1/28/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
It would be nice to know if its in use and for how long. To bad the software for printing couldnt send out a message.

Jason Cummer

204a61736f6e2043756d6d657220

Tyler Rivard

Jan 28, 2016, 1:08:25 AM1/28/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
It's open source. Someone could write a plugin. It can already send an email when a print ends.

Mark

Jan 28, 2016, 4:50:59 PM1/28/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com

Not sure if anyone's referring to the FullCalendar mods I did for use with the Makerspace tools:  http://remotepointcontrol.com/bookings

I don't see this actually being needed though.  The Google calendar worked pretty well.