Cutting complex object from sheet metal?

Arthur

Feb 1, 2016, 10:42:15 PM2/1/16
to makerspaceca
Hi all,

My friend was wondering if Makerspace has any machines to help cut the following shape from sheet metal. He wants it about 3.5" wide, not sure about the thickness.

Would the CNC be able to do this? Is there anyone besides Vince who is able to operate the CNC?

Last year, there were sheets of metal (aluminum?) in a pile in the assembly space (where the four Viatec offices are). If any of that is still available, about how thick is it and what price?

Also, please let me know if there's anywhere in town that could do this as well.

Thanks all!
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Derek Jacoby

Feb 1, 2016, 10:49:17 PM2/1/16
to makerspaceca

Those 4 offices don't have anything to do with viatec, BTW.

That aluminum is available for members only and we need to devise a pricing scheme, but it is a possibility.

The CNC is making some progress, but is still very much not ready for general use, unfortunately.

Victoria Waterjet has been fantastic and fairly inexpensive in cutting out some aluminum designs for Austin and the laser cutter mounts.

Thx,

Derek

Andrew Loen

Feb 1, 2016, 11:12:57 PM2/1/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
This would be done very easily with etching.  You can etch most metals, including silver, gold, brasses, etc. Similar process to making circuit boards, using a photoresist and then etching solution or electro-etching.
I have done a lot of this, if you want to go this route.

Andrew

--
Andrew Loen, P.Eng.
Loen Engineering Inc