metal 3d printer

Eric Davies

Jul 13, 2016, 8:13:25 PM7/13/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Thought I'd point out this thread. Another maker space with a metal powder printer up for grabs.

Craig Carmichael

Oct 19, 2016, 5:22:21 PM10/19/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I've invented an inifitely variable transmission where one smooth
lever takes it from reverse through 'idle' then low and medium to
high.

I'm making plastic gears for it, and wondered if the laser cutter can
cut thick UHMW polyethylene plastic? Currently i have a small piece
of black, but mostly it's white.

If it does, can anyone recommend software to design involute gears?

Other suggestions?

TIA,
Craig

(More info: http://www.TurquoiseEnergy.com/ - see latest newsletters)

Derek Jacoby

Oct 19, 2016, 5:26:16 PM10/19/16
to makerspaceca
afraid not. Melts like crazy. CNC is your best option on that one. Or sending it out for waterjet if CNC is not fine enough.

Dave Pankhurst

Oct 19, 2016, 9:54:04 PM10/19/16
to makers...@googlegroups.com

Involute gear designers are something I've looked into in detail for my projects - for gears, there are online designers:

http://geargenerator.com/

https://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

Also, woodgears.ca offers a windows program for $26:

https://woodgears.ca/gear/index.html

I can recommend it - I use it to design and then export into sketchup.

Finally, if you prefer programming, code I bookmarked (but never implemented) is here:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1037482/Drawing-Gears-Circular-and-Non-Circular

Hope this helps,

David Pankhurst,

UtopiaMechanicus.com