Network setup thread

Sam Harmon

Nov 5, 2014, 1:47:04 PM11/5/14
to makersalliance@googlegroups.com Group
Network engineers of the mailing list, I've got a project for you:

Given we now have the following items:
-One gigabit Ethernet drop
-Two publicly available static IP addresses
-An ASUS 4-port wireless router
-A Linksys WRT-ish router of some sort
-3 Cisco Catalyst 2926 10/100 switches in unknown condition (probably working?)
-Some number of random computers
-enough cabling
-some modest additional funds for equipment, if necessary

Set up an in-house network for the space that allows the following:
-hardwire network connections for lots of stuff (computers, devices, IP camera, etc.) to be able to access the network
-wireless network
-ability to serve network traffic from a device on the network out to the internet (i.e. set up a Raspberry Pi to serve our wiki and/or webpage or something)

Bonus Points:
-Set up a VOIP connected phone of some sort, so we can have a number people can call to an actual physical handset in the space.

Any takers? Discuss.

jo...@synthtel.com

Nov 6, 2014, 12:04:42 AM11/6/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Does any one know if we have been assigned a certain amount of internet bandwidth?
Or rather what the total LaunchHouse bandwidth is, so we can be careful not to take too much of it.

Next time I'm in I'll work on making the network like this: pfsense <-> vpn <-> switches <-> CloudStack/KVM/Containers

We can than provision members use of the computing and network resources, even while they run their own operating systems.

Shell accounts accessed with X-Term for members would be cool, as they could than run remote graphical applications without
taking up a lot of bandwidth, and use something like a graphics oriented irc.

We can use Freeswitch and a Washington state SIP number for voip.

On that note, in what ways would a remote X-Windows connection be better than the typical ajax browser applications for group use?

Ian Km

Nov 6, 2014, 1:56:09 AM11/6/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I'd say we should also Have a File server, As well as the camera server, The Gruntwork/menial tasks server and maybe the VOIP Server.

It should be pretty easy to setup, I know how to setup a Windows server.. So We should be Set..

Oh, And by the Way.. Our Wireless network is Called "MakerNet" And the password is "connectus" All lower case.

-Ian

dave walton

Nov 6, 2014, 2:05:05 AM11/6/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I was told there is nothing between us and the net. No throttling. No monitoring.

Ross Bochnek

Nov 6, 2014, 4:00:25 AM11/6/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
With other Hackerspaces meeting on Tuesday night, we should be able to have some great Hangouts or other videoconferences with other groups.  In addition to the security camera, we could pick up a 1080p webcam for cheap, and use it for videoconferencing and other webcasting or vlogging.

Ian Km

Nov 6, 2014, 1:18:42 PM11/6/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
That's fantastic.. I don't think I've ever had access to an internet connection that fast before.

With seemingly Limitless bandwidth.. The World is our Oyster..