Fwd: Kickin it with Kenny

Robert McTrusty

Oct 22, 2014, 8:09:46 AM10/22/14
to Katherine Freund, makersa...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Krouse <jkr...@clevescene.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 7:54 AM
Subject: Kickin it with Kenny
To: Robert McTrusty <bob...@gmail.com>, Sam Harmon <samuel...@gmail.com>

Hi guys.

Next week Wednesday morning we re looking at doing a tv segment to promote nmb.

It's from 7am to 9 and they usually do 4 segments.

Could we do it live from the launchouse?  Maybe show off a few projects and costume hacks. I could add a few segments from otter people participating too.

Could we circulate a discussion?

James Krouse
1 216 220 5133

Ross Bochnek

Oct 27, 2014, 12:48:32 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
He said "maybe show off a few projects and costume hacks". So maybe this would work. I seem to be the only person who would be available then, but noone has jumped at the idea. It''s getting late: should we ask for more details or just say thanks, but not this time? Or, do you think they''ll shoot at LaunchHouse anyway; I can come in and "maybe show off a few projects".

Robert McTrusty

Oct 27, 2014, 12:51:15 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ross

I'm planning on being there for kicken Kenny. I think Calein was going to try to make it as well.

On Oct 27, 2014 12:48 PM, "Ross Bochnek" <interac...@gmail.com> wrote:
He said "maybe show off a few projects and costume hacks".  So maybe this would work. I seem to be the only person who would be available then, but noone has jumped at the idea.  It''s getting late: should we ask for more details or just say thanks, but not this time?  Or, do you think they''ll shoot at LaunchHouse anyway; I can come in and "maybe show off a few projects".

Robert McTrusty

Oct 27, 2014, 12:52:48 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Ross I would appreciate if you were there too
not sure how we are going to fill the time.

Ross Bochnek

Oct 27, 2014, 12:53:30 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
OK, cool.

dave walton

Oct 27, 2014, 1:21:14 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I have some EL wire left over from Burning Man if you want to put it to use. I'll bring it in Tuesday. Might be kinda dusty still.

-dave

Robert McTrusty

Oct 27, 2014, 1:25:09 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
cool
ihave some as well, very dim

Kendall Smith

Oct 27, 2014, 1:43:01 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Can this EL wire be operated on 12v?

 - Kendall

Robert McTrusty

Oct 27, 2014, 1:44:40 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
the units i have just have 3 AA battery pack

Matt Hummel

Oct 27, 2014, 2:11:56 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
The el wire us actually high volt/freq and needs a transformer/driver in order to operate. You can't just hook a battery to it.

Robert McTrusty

Oct 27, 2014, 2:16:53 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Right it has the inverter that runs off of 3AA batteries

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Matt Hummel <humm...@gmail.com> wrote:
The el wire us actually high volt/freq and needs a transformer/driver in order to operate. You can't just hook a battery to it.

dave walton

Oct 27, 2014, 2:49:45 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
EL wire needs 90-110 VAC at 1KHz according to Wikipedia. Keep in mind that the 120VAC from a household plug is an RMS measurement. The actual voltage coming out of the socket is around 170V from ground and 340V from peak-to-peak (also from wiki). So I suspect driving them from household AC would be very bright for a very short time - (poof).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroluminescent_wire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square

The units I have are 5M 2xAA.

Ross Bochnek

Oct 27, 2014, 3:24:21 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com, kathe...@yahoo.com
I got an 12v EL Wire inverter from adafruit.com.  Let's have a little EL Wire party tomorrow night, and make some examples of costume elements.

Ross Bochnek

Oct 27, 2014, 9:12:49 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com, kathe...@yahoo.com
Matt, we'd love to demonstrate your and Steph's LED shoes and scarf.  Would you bring them to the meeting tomorrow so we could show them on Wednesday morning?  I'll definitely be there Tues. night and Wed. morning.

Robert McTrusty

Oct 27, 2014, 9:39:37 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com, Ross Bochnek

Hey Ross,
Matt and Steph gave them to me last night for Wed.

Ross Bochnek

Oct 27, 2014, 10:21:45 PM10/27/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com, kathe...@yahoo.com
splend that

Ross Bochnek

Oct 29, 2014, 10:52:04 AM10/29/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I'm SO glad we participated in this! We totally nailed it. Video links to follow. Major thanks to the Makers, dancers, Tesla Orchestra, Scene crew, and Fox 8. The vibe was awesome, and bodes well for the event. Big ups to our party volunteers too!!!

Samantha Novak

Oct 29, 2014, 1:37:00 PM10/29/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Heyo!

Sorry to hijack the conversation but I was scouting the internet for any media posted about the show and found this group!

Had a blast hula hooping with the tesla coils!

It was......electrifying, to say the least. ;)!
See you all Saturday!

Ross Bochnek

Oct 29, 2014, 3:51:07 PM10/29/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com, kathe...@yahoo.com
Thanks for joining the convo, Samantha Novak!  We have meetings every Tuesday starting at 7pm if you'd like to play in our sandbox more.  Great to see you!

komp...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 2:17:43 PM9/4/16
to Makers' Alliance, kathe...@yahoo.com

komp...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 2:22:28 PM9/4/16
to Makers' Alliance, kathe...@yahoo.com

Hey All,

Thought it would be relevant dropping a line here about my project on kickstarter  - a circuit board that makes EL wire, panels, paint touch sensitive.

The response has been pretty positive, but we need one final push to make the goal: http://kck.st/2bYxycO

Would appreciate help in getting the word out/reminding people that this ends on Monday!

Josh