Microsoft drops windows as exclusive focus

Joe ODonnell

Mar 19, 2015, 5:01:19 PM3/19/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
 In huge news, Microsoft is apparently announcing it will no longer be a Windows first (and usually only) company,
but instead will now become a multi platform company. That's really big, because it means that Linux and Arduino devices
will presumably not only be welcome, but even equal partners on the massive number of Windows based network systems.

 Several months ago Microsoft announced .net would be going open source. These are both incredible developments.
Most business computer systems, and computer systems of organizations of any type in the NEO area, are Microsoft based.
With MS going both open source and none Windows exclusionary, that means that the decades long conflict between Microsoft
and the Open Source related communities is finally over, and that the future will have an Open Source multi plaftform foundation!

 Now it will become much easier to integrate Linux, Arduino and other embedded Maker related projects into existing systems
and networks. It means our universe has just radically expanded!

 This also means that programmers who focus on something other than .net will probably have an easier time with
NEO businesses.

Mary Jo Foley is the leading tech news voice on Microsoft, and will go over this development on March 23rd:

Torrie Fischer

Mar 19, 2015, 6:25:06 PM3/19/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, March 19, 2015 02:01:19 PM 'Joe ODonnell' via Makers' Alliance
wrote:
> that means that the decades long conflict between Microsoft
> and the Open Source related communities is finally over

lol.

ken

Mar 20, 2015, 10:58:26 AM3/20/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Cynical+1

MS totally missed out on the smartphone market (well, except in South
America). Along comes the Raspberry Pi and they've come way late to
that party too. And the RPi itself has many competitors and followers,
all of which naturally do ports of Linux for their OSs. With whispers
and outloud prognostications of the coming of the Internet of
Everything, MS really doesn't want to miss out on this Everything. If
they give away Windows, they can at least hope it will be ported to some
of this new hardware pouring like a waterfall out of the future, and
then still be around to sell the MS applications.

So the FOSSing of Windows is much less peaceful reconciliation than a
jaundiced retreat which may at least allow its apps to survive.