Github free speech tools under attack

Joe ODonnell

Mar 30, 2015, 2:07:46 PM3/30/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I think it's worth noting that only a day after we talked about the relative importance of various internet security measures on this list,
including mention of this video:

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/centralohioinfosec2015/keynote00-were-at-war-why-arent-you-wearing-a-helmet-bill-sieglein

-That this major security and human freedom event happened:

GitHub is suffering a DDoS attack deemed the largest in the website's history and believed to originate from China.
Specifically, two particular sections of GitHub have been targeted. One content area is run by Greatfire.org, an anticensorship organization which releases tools to help Chinese citizens circumvent the county's stringent censorship controls -- known colloquially as the "Great Firewall of China. The second links to copies of the New York Time's Chinese language website and other banned domains.

-Github is the main web site where programmers make their code projects available to the public for free. Computer code is a type of speech,
it describes how a computer program operates. Programs are usually released on Github in both binary and code form. So the above event
is a direct attack on the free speech of programmers. Specifically programmers who were attempting to support the free speech of others.