Theramin

Jim Owens

Sep 27, 2017, 9:22:28 PM9/27/17
to Makers' Alliance
I have had occasion lately to discuss thermos and related technology with three non-club members since Ingenuity. I think it is time I made one. Anyone else interested?

Jim

Sam Harmon

Sep 28, 2017, 5:41:16 PM9/28/17
to makersa...@googlegroups.com

Like I mentioned on Tuesday, there are a lot of ways to implement a Theremin, and they all have various trade-offs.

-Sensor type (optical, traditional capacitance, digital “sonar” rangefinder,etc.) Alternately, you could use a softpot to do something like what the Beach Boys used on “Good Vibrations” which was a related instrument called the “Electro-Theremin” or sometimes Tannerin - more details here http://www.tompolk.com/Tannerin/Tannerin.html

-sound generator (square waves, sine waves, other analog/digital means, “real Theremin Sound” (aka the beat frequency of two very high frequency sine waves interfering with each other)

-user interface (pitch only, or pitch+volume, or pitch+volume+various other sensors/derived signals)

I’ve built a few of various types- the first a morse code practice oscillator that I replaced the pitch pot with a photocell. The second a Paia ThereMax (sounded great when I built it, then when I put it into the official case a few years ago, it stopped working?) The third was the modified Drawdio we had people build at Mini Maker Faire a couple of years ago.

I’ve been interested in building one of the “Minimum" models from Harrison Instruments (http://harrisoninstruments.com/) for a while- I’m pretty sure I have most of the parts for a 101 or 102 model on hand, so I’d just have to get the PCB and maybe the trimmer resistors. They’re pitch-only, but look fairly easy to build.

Sam