International Nodebots Day!

āļĒāļ­āļ”āļ”āļđ 18 āļ„āļĢāļąāđ‰āļ‡
āļ‚āđ‰āļēāļĄāđ„āļ›āļ—āļĩāđˆāļ‚āđ‰āļ­āļ„āļ§āļēāļĄāļ—āļĩāđˆāļĒāļąāļ‡āđ„āļĄāđˆāļ­āđˆāļēāļ™āļĢāļēāļĒāļāļēāļĢāđāļĢāļ

Persa Zula

āļĒāļąāļ‡āđ„āļĄāđˆāļ­āđˆāļēāļ™,
4 āļĄāļī.āļĒ. 2557 10:59:234/6/57
āļ–āļķāļ‡ makersa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Makers!

I'm interested in bringing people together to hack on small hardware using Node for the International Nodebots Day on July 26, 2014.
I'm looking for a space where people can solder, cut wires, run robots around (or fly them!), and in general have a great time. I was chatting with Torrie, and she mentioned Makers' Alliance as a potential space for such things, and I was wondering what the group thought of it? I'd love to secure a venue soon so that I can start telling people about it and getting it on their calendars :)

Let me know what you think!

From the Nodebots website:

What's a Nodebot?

NodeBots are robots that are controlled by node.js. A NodeBots event is a full day event where JS developers team up in groups of 3 with soldering guns and parts nearby to create amazing robotic devices.

At a NodeBots event, teams of up to 3 people hack together Arduino based robots and program it all using just JavaScript! If you have no idea what an LED is or a resistor for that matter, have no fear - NodeBot experts will be readily available to help you hardware hack, solder, and 3D print your way to a full fledged NodeBot.

At the end of the day we'll have a Sumo Competition interlaced with project demos from anyone who wants to present.

JS and Robots You Say? Preposterous!

No seriously, you can build and control robots even if your only programming experience is intro to jQuery and a very simple web page. NodeBots, the idea, was first conceived out of the increasing visibility of hardware creation and control within the upstart node.js community.Chris Williams created a module called node-serialport that allows JS developers to begin controlling and directing the physical world. From there, hardware and hardware talks have been the bright point of every JS conference event, dazzling audiences with everything from smoke machines to walking robots. Now its time to get everyone in on the action, now is time for the rise of JS Robotics

Persa Zula

āļĒāļąāļ‡āđ„āļĄāđˆāļ­āđˆāļēāļ™,
9 āļĄāļī.āļĒ. 2557 10:41:359/6/57
āļ–āļķāļ‡ makersa...@googlegroups.com
Well guys, it seems that the weekend of International Nodebots Day is during PyOhio this year, and after talking to some potential attendees, they expressed interest in both but prefer to go to PyOhio. I'm going to hold off on organizing this, and perhaps we can coordinate a different date in the future that does not conflict with other local tech events.

Joe O'Donnell

āļĒāļąāļ‡āđ„āļĄāđˆāļ­āđˆāļēāļ™,
10 āļĄāļī.āļĒ. 2557 09:30:5510/6/57
āļ–āļķāļ‡ makersa...@googlegroups.com, J...@rainbarrel.com
 NodeBots sounds very cool. We have an event coming up in August at a library that myself and a couple others so far are preparing for. I'm working on a robot centered maker curriculum for this event and other uses.

 We have a cheap way to make computer controlled robots:
1. Buy $10-$20 RC cars from Walmart or dollar general.
2. Wire the remote control to be controlled by an Arduino.
3. Control the Arduino through USB communication with a computer or smart phone.
4. Code your program of choice on the computer to control the motor(s).
5. Combine the cars motors into a new robot as needed.

 Thus you get a remote program controlled motor for $10-$20 each, for the price of soldering a few wires and installing some software. Without this approach the steps would be:
1. Build a chassis with axle and wheels.
2. Buy and attach 1 or 2 motors.
3. Buy and connect 1 or 2 motor controllers.
4. Connect an Arduino.
5. Connect a remote control to the Arduino.

The above easily adds up to $50-$100 per motor.

 We have a couple RC cars at the space to experiment with.

 My curriculum uses Math, Scheme and Forth instead of JavaScript. That said, JavaScript can be emulated in Scheme so I think it's compatible. My long term vision is to empower a robotic revolution for American industry and Science.

 JavaScript is a great way to start with high level language control of Robotics, similar to how Arduino is a great way to start with microcontrollers. An advantage of Forth+Scheme, is that it can be analyzed mathematically by formal methods for correct operation. Formal methods are the ideal approach for preventing bugs in hardware-software systems, and are required to a certain degree for human interacting or medical robotic systems. Forth+Scheme can be analyzed at 3 levels: none, medium and large, and in concert with 3 corresponding languages: JavaScript like, Forth-Scheme, and Haskell like. The labor required for these is small, medium and lengthy. There is also a corresponding product market level: Hobbiest, Sensor/Industry and Military/Medical. So working with the curriculum provides a smooth upgrade path to commercial product work, and can act as a connector between the different mechatronic communities.

 I'll be at the club by 630 today, it would be fantastic to talk about NodeBots.

Launch House is a block south of the corner of Kinsman/Chagrin and Lee in Shaker Heights, on the west side of the street.