Classroom/Theater discussion

Ross Bochnek

Nov 3, 2014, 4:45:07 PM11/3/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I am willing to lend a video projector to Makers Alliance, with the concept of installing it in the space for the purposes of education and entertainment.  I was very inspired by Noisebridge's classrooms, and context for my thoughts on the projector installation are as part of a classroom/theater.  For the purposes of connecting the projector to a media source, including setting up some good audio accompaniment, I want to work with whoever is interested, in finding a fixed location for the installation, which will also improve its security and neatness.

I love the idea of keeping the the tables in the middle of the space general purpose.  Yet, we currently have limited seating, and I also think that some of the classes/workshops we'd want to offer could benefit from participants sitting at general purpose worktables.  Although workshops might use one of our more dedicated Maker Areas for hands-on activities, these areas are not the best place for presenting slides and other screen-based demos.  That's why I think the projector should be set up in a way so that we could host our workshops and classes with participants being able to sit at the general purpose tables at the center of our shop.

Also, I think it would be great to start a Maker Movies series of screenings and maybe productions as well.

So, I'd like to kick off a discussion about a location for a flexible Classroom/Theater that can be used for other things, but easily transformed into a Classroom/Theater.  I have a big roll-up screen we can mount almost anywhere.  Do you agree with the idea of making the projections visible from almost anywhere in the room, using the metal tables as classroom tables, etc.?  Should we put the projection screen parallel to the tables, can we put the screen perpendicular to the tables, should we just just put the projector and screen in the best possible location and maybe worry about rotating the tables for classes, how might the locations of the windows affect where/when we do the projections, etc.?

Another reason I'd like us to find a fixed location for the equipment is so we can establish a presenter's area.  This area would be a place that people could present lectures, slides, and lead classes/workshops.  There would be a sort of podium with a microphone, a space for notes or a laptop, computer connections, possibly a computer that is located nearby or can be controlled from the presenter's area.  I'd also like to test our object cameras, which could be connected to the projector to demonstrate manual processes and describe objects.  The "podium" mic could also be easily set up to record good audio, and we could also video record such events.

Which direction should we set up the classroom to face?  I'm currently thinking we may want to hang the screen from the painted back wall or the grey shelving "wall".

The audio speakers connected to the theater would also serve as our general music system with "podium" as the main music selection area.  Although DJs and performers wouldn't have to be set up there, it would already be set up for presenters/teachers/workshop facilitators.
Message has been deleted

Ross Bochnek

Nov 5, 2014, 2:49:02 AM11/5/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com

At tonight's meeting, I presented 2 possible layouts that both place the projection screen against the painted cinderblock wall.  I don't still propose we utilize the black shelving unit (called Battery Shelf in these drawings) as a Presenter's station, since it's 5' high.  So, you can ignore that for now.   The main features of each plan will be center justified below:

Classroom/Theater seating based on existing locations of metal tables,

with the projections basically centered on the wall:

Classroom/Theater seating is based on a more direct arrangement of the meal tables,

with the projections closer to the grey shelving unit that forms our south wall.

Also, the location of the green cabinet (called Locked Box Cabinet in these drawings) might be used to elevate a lighting truss on one side.  Or, instead of an overhead lighting truss, the truss might be used as a stage riser.

Ross Bochnek

Nov 18, 2014, 2:54:27 PM11/18/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
The Classroom/Theater screen will be tucked into ~7 feet of painted cinderblock wall space, between the grey shelving wall and the green cabinet.  I'm thinking that its core will be a conversation nook, where a few people can gather around and do a videoconference.  Around that, we'll be able to pull our metal tables and some chairs to accommodate more people.