DISCUSS: "Maker Curriculum"

Sam Harmon

Oct 26, 2017, 6:38:36 PM10/26/17
to makersalliance@googlegroups.com Group

I started a wiki page that describes what might be a series of workshops or tutorials intended to get the skill levels of people that come to the space up to some kind of “baseline” level. The workshops may already be ones we’re planning to offer, or some that we haven’t thought of yet.

http://wiki.makersalliance.org/doku.php?id=maker_curriculum

I would LOVE to hear further suggestions on things to add.

What kind of things do you think a “Maker” should know how to do?

Sam

Jim Owens

Oct 28, 2017, 10:04:34 AM10/28/17
to samuel...@gmail.com, makersalliance@googlegroups.com Group
We need to break down that woodworking a bit more:

How to safely use a table saw
How to safely use a lathe
How to pick the right drill bit
How to safely use a circular saw
How to polish wood

Sam Harmon

Oct 29, 2017, 9:17:42 PM10/29/17
to gym...@yahoo.com, makersalliance@googlegroups.com Group
This was by no means a complete list - just a start based on a conversation with Mark on Tuesday. And being a wiki page, it’s a living document that can be modified forever. And hopefully some of the other 300 subscribers to this list have some input as well!

I’m definitely in agreement on the drill bit part, as drills/drill presses are some of the most used tools at the space.

The rest are all definitely good skills to have, but are they things you’d expect *every* Maker at the space to know? I can see a case for a generalized “saw” component for everyone, but lathe use less so. (That said, I did recently think about getting a bunch of pen kits in case there is interest in learning turning…)

Sam