Shapeoko desktop CNC router

Ross Bochnek

Dec 16, 2015, 1:28:02 PM12/16/15
to Makers' Alliance
Thanks to Sam and Steve for preparing a Shapeoko 1 for communal usage in the space!

REQUEST: We would like to test out a monitor screen we have, but require a M-M DVI cable for this test.  Can anyone bring in a DVI cable- perhaps this Saturday or next Tuesday for such a purpose?  Thanks!

I can help with designing and assembling the housing, electronics, and screen.

I'm also interested in leaving the possibility open for using the rig with an open bottom like a Shop Bot, so the machine can be affixed to something (e.g. an existing door to carve a design into it without removing the door from its installation).

For that application, perhaps the electronics/screen unit should be allowed to undock from the motor unit.

Sam and I discussed building a possible 2x4 cage around the motor unit.  I'd like to paint the 2x4s yellow-orange like the Seiko Controller.  The 2x4s will have dados to allow clear plastic sheets to be inserted as windows to contain the dust.

The electronics can be placed inside a metal enclosure, with a Beagle Bone Black (BBB) for a brain.  There would be a "cape" on the BBB to control the stepper motors.  We could then attach some kind of screen to the lid of the metal enclosure, so that the operator can flip up the lid to make the screen face them.

REQUEST: We would like to test out a screen we have, but require a M-M DVI cable for this test.  Can anyone bring in a DVI cable- perhaps this Saturday or next Tuesday for such a purpose?  Thanks!

Ross Bochnek

Jan 27, 2016, 1:58:59 AM1/27/16
to Makers' Alliance
The Shapeoko 1 is now physically constructed, with drive belts attached, and ready for wiring and electronics.

Next Steps may include, and not necessarily in the following order:
-Wiring and mounting end stop switches
-Extending stepper motor wires
-Planning and mounting cooling fans inside designated enclosure (we'll have to check if the PSU has 12v outputs for this)
-A plan for mounting the BeagleBone Black, PSU, Arduino stack, and Stepper Motor Controller inside the enclosure
-A plan for powering the above electronics within the enclosure and minimal wiring running outside the enclosure
-Connecting all electronics, wiring, switches (end-stops, E-stop) motors, etc.
-Uploading firmware to Arduino and software to BeagleBone Black
-Connecting to external monitor with adapters
-Enclosing router inside painted 2x4 frame
-A plan for cabling the enclosure and monitor close to the physical router, but with flexibility for mounting Shapeoko like a Shop Bot to large work pieces

I plan to work on this starting 2/16 after I return from Mardi Gras ridiculousness.

We can get a mini(or micro?) HDMI to VGA adapter to connect the BeagleBone Black to one of our existing monitors