PCB badge design - any volunteers?

Sam Harmon

Oct 3, 2017, 12:19:23 AM10/3/17
to makersalliance@googlegroups.com Group
We’ve talked about doing a PCB badge design of our own before, but not much has ever come of it. While we’ll have enough of the “Faux Makezine” badges for Mini Maker Faire, it would be really nice to have a new design in time for Shaker Makers in April.

I might poke at such a design in my not-so-copious spare time, but if anyone else wants to try, here’s how I envision such a badge:

Requirements:
Circuit design: CR1220 (or CR2032?) battery + -> LED(s)(+). LED(s)(-) -> GND. Nothing fancy unless you want to add optional functionality- keep it as something simple a new solderer can do in less than 10 minutes.
Size: maybe ~2 square inches total, so 1.4”x1.4”. Slightly larger or smaller is probably ok.
Shape: a design in the shape of our logo gear would be super skookum, but might be difficult to lay out. Circular with logo in silkscreen would certainly be better than nothing.
LED(s): 1 or 2 5mm Through-hole LEDs. 3mm LEDs are also acceptable (though we have fewer on hand)
Battery clip: Keystone 3001, unless you can find the ones the Makezine badges use or something else cheap that is repeatably findable. A CR2032 clip should be used if using a CR2032- specify a part number and where it can be purchased in a repeatable fashion.
Pin- 1/16” (I’ll confirm this) via at the top of the badge to solder in the pin
Text- It should say “Makers’ Alliance” and/or “makersalliance.org” somewhere on it

Bonus features:
-Additional pads for hacking in additional components (through-hole, SMT, go nuts)
-Additional functionality that can be added optionally

Deliverables should be openable in Eagle 6.5, KiCAD, other open-source PCB layout software, or deliver Gerbers and be willing to make changes upon request ;-)

Looking for something to crib from? Nottingham Hackspace in the UK put some KiCAD designs on github:
https://github.com/curiouselectric/LearnToSolderBadge

Let’s see some ideas!

Sam