3D Printing to Vacuforming Experiments

Ross Bochnek

Jan 24, 2017, 7:29:25 AM1/24/17
to Makers' Alliance
I'm extremely interested in applying 3D CAD/CAM to Rapid Prototyping.  Although 3D printing can be considered "rapid" prototyping in comparison to some other forms of prototyping and moldmaking, thermal vacuforming is MUCH quicker for pulling casts of multiple copies once molds have been made.

So, I am interested in experimenting with a few different materials and workflows to take a 3D printed part, such as a low-temp PLA model we can print in our shop, and get it ready for thermal vacuforming to make at least 2 copies of the printed part.  Since PLA models can deform sitting inside a car (either in a parked car on a Summer's day or perhaps even left too close to a heat vent), slamming a hot sheet of droopy thermoplastic directly on top of a PLA print is like manufacturing with Velveeta.

To solve this, I am creating a list of possible solutions to pull at least 2 vacuform copies off a 3D print, starting with possibilities we may already have in house:
-try to make a mold of a PLA part using our hopefully-not-expired Smooth On casting supplies
-try to heat treat a 3D printed part in the toaster over I can bring by

perhaps the best method will be something like:
-make a rubber (foam latex, silicone, etc.) mold of a part, then cast plaster into it to create a durable part that we can pull multiple themal vacuforms from

Other methods, perhaps with different filaments/printers might include:
-printing a 3D part that CAN stand up to thermal vacuforming, such as using a higher temp filament, AND/OR heat treating a 3D printed part before molding

Ross Bochnek

Jan 25, 2017, 1:56:10 AM1/25/17
to Makers' Alliance
Vacuforming over PLA works!  We got some more details with the aid of a heat gun, which we should probably turn down to 250.  I think we'll get the best vacuformed results from a 3D printed that's designed for it, and has a flat bottom.

Yaaaassssssssssssssss