Intro to Arduino Workshop 2/24 planning

Ross Bochnek

Feb 4, 2015, 7:39:28 AM2/4/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
We had a really productive meeting tonight for this event, so thanks to everyone for coming, participating, and being orderly and attentive!

During our 15 minute presentations, should we demonstrate the blink, controlled blink, and button press examples so that people can see how the same project was done using Scratch4Arduino and the Arduino IDE?  Then, the workshop phase could be learning to do what we just showed them.  I know we discussed these examples for the workshop, but we didn't discuss if we would also demonstrate them in our 15 minute talks beforehand.

Robert McTrusty

Feb 4, 2015, 7:58:46 AM2/4/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I like that idea of doing the same example for IDE and Scratch to show that they can do same thing.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 7:39 AM, Ross Bochnek <interac...@gmail.com> wrote:
We had a really productive meeting tonight for this event, so thanks to everyone for coming, participating, and being orderly and attentive!

During our 15 minute presentations, should we demonstrate the blink, controlled blink, and button press examples so that people can see how the same project was done using Scratch4Arduino and the Arduino IDE?  Then, the workshop phase could be learning to do what we just showed them.  I know we discussed these examples for the workshop, but we didn't discuss if we would also demonstrate them in our 15 minute talks beforehand.

Joe N

Feb 4, 2015, 8:59:58 AM2/4/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I like the simple examples that they can do with their own board. And then a few more complex examples to 'wet their appetite' ie: Bob's blinky board, Ross's blinky box.

Scott Gray

Feb 6, 2015, 11:03:58 PM2/6/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I'll see about building a live CD / thumb drive we can use for this and maybe some future events. What tools would we need on it? Are there any that don't Linux well?

Joe ODonnell

Feb 7, 2015, 3:51:02 PM2/7/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
 The most important thing is to get the Arduino IDE working. All of starting, compiling programs and communicating with an Arduino device, especially an Uno.
Also, if that could be shown how to be done on an Android device that would be great. Either by replacing Android with a mainstream Linux distro,
or using some method to dual or vm boot Linux with Android. Another great project would be getting an Arduino device to communicate with an Android program,
either a custom one or Tasker.

 Other good Linux programs to have or choose from would be some type of CAD, G Code managing programs, robot frameworks, electronics simulation, circuit board layout,
Blender, RabbitMQ, MariaSQL and Asterisk/Free Switch. There are also now programs that turn Android phones into security cameras, that would be good.

 Donations of old Android tablets and phones would be very useful for us, as they are likely to be usable with the above projects. We could also use a few more monitors,
desktops and laptops.

Scott Harris

Feb 9, 2015, 9:59:52 AM2/9/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
One of the items on Ross's list was explaining additional resources (line item marked "research") so attendees would be able to keep going.
This is an excellent video series for entry level.  The author is a high school teacher and this is well thought out class.

There are also some good value starter kits available like this one.

Can we add a section to the Makers Alliance website where we can provide links to these types of resources?

Joe ODonnell

Feb 10, 2015, 1:08:35 PM2/10/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I may end up being at work tonight. Starting next week I'll offer an intro class
to new members, as we discussed last week. Scott H has offered to orient new
members. I'm confident these new steps done weekly, in addition to our Arduino day initiative, will bring in multiple new regular members.

Robert McTrusty

Feb 10, 2015, 1:26:01 PM2/10/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
News flash!!!

After almost two years in development the new Arduino IDE, version 1.6.0, was  released yesterday. The latest version of the Arduino development environment comes with a long laundry list of new features.

Do we have a class on the new release or the original?

Bob

Sam Harmon

Feb 10, 2015, 1:38:01 PM2/10/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I was probably going to base it on 1.0.x, especially with the Adafruit-distributed version (which includes libraries for most of their products). Heck, my slides actually predate 1.0 by a while ;-)

I haven't poked at the 1.5/ (now 1.6) branch in a while (other than to program a Due once), but I'll take a look at it and see if there's anything really different/important to note. Functionally they've been pretty much the same, but the 1.5/1.6 branch includes the ARM toolchain for the Due/Zero in addition to the AVR toolchain.

The nice thing about the Arduino IDE is that it's really simple, and I bet most of the changes are under the hood.

Sam

> On Feb 10, 2015, at 1:26 PM, Robert McTrusty <bob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> News flash!!!
>
> After almost two years in development the new Arduino IDE, version 1.6.0, was released yesterday. The latest version of the Arduino development environment comes with a long laundry list of new features.
>
> http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
>
> Do we have a class on the new release or the original?
>
> Bob

Ross Bochnek

Feb 10, 2015, 2:03:30 PM2/10/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Scott, I think the place on our website that we should put workshop info at is the Classes page of the wiki, although you'd have to signup to be an author there, and it currently doesn't have a direct link.

Does anyone have a URL for the kitted-out Adafruit version of the IDE?  If an updated one comes out by the workshop, I think we should try to teach that one.

I'm available to meet about the Arduino Workshop tonight; especially to discuss promotion on sites like Meetup, Facebook, our own sites, etc..

Ross Bochnek

Feb 13, 2015, 2:45:18 AM2/13/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I've been sending people to our homepage to join the mailing list, but now that the wiki is our Google home page, we need to add the link to it.

Also, I created a FB Event for our first workshop.  Sam probably needs to repost it or approve it to be viewed in the main column of our page.  Please promote this to your crews: https://www.facebook.com/events/1391152214529314/

Ross Bochnek

Feb 23, 2015, 5:23:57 AM2/23/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
We have 25 Going responses on FB.  How do we want to set the room up?  Maybe we should go traditional in the front half with rows of chairs, but have tables set up in the back for a few hands-on workshop stations; people can gather their chairs around the workshop tables.  May may have to bring some extra tables in from the front or the lab.

Joe N

Feb 23, 2015, 8:54:03 AM2/23/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Ross - Have you confirmed front space availability and the approximate number of attendees with LaunchHouse? This should not be a problem, however, you want to make sure there is not a conflict with another event.

Robert McTrusty

Feb 23, 2015, 9:05:03 AM2/23/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
i have reserved the accelerator/multipurpose room for the meeting weeks in advanced.

Bob