BIG Blue Air Compressor

Ross Bochnek

Sep 17, 2014, 6:22:11 PM9/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
At our last meeting, we unloaded a massive air compressor into our space and began to test it.  Unloading it was no small feat, but we separated the components an unloaded them individually.

The components include:
-a giant air tank
-the compressor unit
-a motor that requires too much power, and might be broken anyway

Ian tested the compressor, and it seems to work.  We're still looking for a motor to replace the one he used for testing.  He may have one that is suitable, and I'll check around too.

We also think that it's worth giving the "new" compressor unit a teardown, cleaning, new seals and valves.  This would be inexpensive, and help ensure it works at higher pressures.

We currently have a working air compressor, but it has some issues of its own.  The best part of that one is probably its motor, so one option is to put the "old" motor on the "new" setup.

Let's use this thread to post specs of motors we may want to use, air tools we may want, and pneumatic project ideas.

Ross Bochnek

Sep 17, 2014, 6:36:21 PM9/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
We currently have an air manifold that is controlled by a laser harp.

One project we've discussed is building a pneumatic organ; perhaps with kazoos instead of pipes.

Another idea is a giant air hockey game.  We could take a 4'x8' piece of particle board, and make a "rink" that can either be placed on a tabletop, or left on the floor and played with REAL hockey sticks!  Or, we could divide the air box below the rink surface into zones, and selectively send air through them via the air manifold.  That way, we could control the air hockey game with many types of controllers.  For example, each player could use a smartphone app and a touchscreen to control the flow of air into the different zones; thereby directing the puck!  The software and hardware interfaces wouldn't actually be that hard to create.  I LOVE the idea of watching an air hockey game without the players making any direct contact with the puck whatsoever- telekinetic sport!  I also want to put a NeoPixel ring and accelerometer on the puck!

soccertoad20

Sep 17, 2014, 6:45:35 PM9/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com

FYI, the maintenance guys I talked to about the air compressor said they had two that were being scraped. They couldn't remember the exact problems but one had a motor issue and one had a compressor issue. They were pretty sure the one I took had a compressor issue. The unit has been moved around many times between different buildings so there is no telling what it has been through. Yes I know Ian got the compressor jury rigged with a small motor but it doesn't mean there isn't a problem with it. I definitely agree on tearing into the compressor and replacing the seals, valves, etc especially if it's inexpensive.

Todd

Joe N

Sep 18, 2014, 9:19:13 AM9/18/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I suggest sourcing the compressor parts before tearing into it. Otherwise we may just have one more broken set of compressor stuff cluttering up the space. We will also need to source the pressure shutoff switch and relief valve, pressure gauges, and possibly a filter / dryer.

Ian Km

Sep 21, 2014, 6:46:55 PM9/21/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I looked over the motors I have, and the only one I have that might even be close to suitable is one that I think is 1-2HP And Looks to be pretty beefy..

I agree with Joe N, Before we tear into this.. We aught to first Spin it up and see if there really is anything wrong and if something is wrong, Make sure we can buy the parts before we dismantle it. Because as far as we know right now.. It works.

You mentioned you had some motors Ross... What became of that?

Ross Bochnek

Sep 22, 2014, 5:54:48 PM9/22/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Let's see what air tools we have. This week, there's a half off sale at Harbor Freight on pneumatic metal cutters and cutting wheels.
$7 3" cut-off tool (uses cutting wheels)
$17 high-speed metal saw (uses blades)

Ross Bochnek

Sep 24, 2014, 5:22:41 AM9/24/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I'll look for my motor after Ingenuity.

Martin Hebrank

Sep 25, 2014, 12:09:26 PM9/25/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Maybe, if we can't get the compressors working, we can do this: http://imgur.com/a/Jpt2L

soccertoad20

Sep 25, 2014, 12:26:33 PM9/25/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I am definitely all for this idea if we can't fix it!

Ian Km

Sep 26, 2014, 3:59:45 PM9/26/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Even if we cant get the compressor going.. It's still a fantastic tank.

As cool as that smoker is.. I feel it's much more valuable as a compressor.

Ross Bochnek

Sep 30, 2014, 1:16:58 AM9/30/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
DIY Shop-wide Air System here: http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCShopAir.html

Ross Bochnek

Oct 12, 2014, 3:56:01 PM10/12/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
My 120VAC motor is 3/4 HP, and has a belt wheel.

Ian Km

Oct 13, 2014, 1:02:33 PM10/13/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
That's not going to be powerful enough..

I think we just need to spring for a nice 230V Single Phase motor at HGR

Ross Bochnek

Oct 13, 2014, 2:26:19 PM10/13/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
OK.  I would agree.  Since my motor is heavy, I guess I'll hold onto it at home.   If we think the lathe needs a better motor, perhaps mine can be substituted for that, although we have 1 or 2 more already at the Shop.

Ross Bochnek

Nov 17, 2014, 10:05:56 AM11/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I FOUND OUR MOTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's HGR's ONLY 2 HP single phase AC motor, and it's been reduced in price to only $35!  It will need a wheel, but the shaft is keyed!  Considering that they're only open from 8-5, do you cats want me to snatch this one up for us?

down from $50

http://www.hgrinc.com/buyOurs/inventoryItemDetail.do?inventory_num=08141470411&itemName=CENTURY+AC+MOTOR

[0814-147-0411]

Inventory Number

0814-147-0411

Aisle

02A

Bay

1900

Additional Information

3450 RPM, S56C FRAME

Electrical

1/60/115-230

Sam Harmon

Nov 17, 2014, 10:55:01 AM11/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
My gut feeling says this is a pretty good deal, even if it's not quite right for the compressor. We can find a use for a 2 HP motor...

I'd say go ahead and get it, unless there's something very obviously wrong with it when you see it in person.

Sam

dave walton

Nov 17, 2014, 11:09:49 AM11/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
RPM is 2x the old motor. Won't work on the compressor.

For general purposes we are better off using a 3-phase motor with a variable frequency drive. We can use a voltage doubling drive to power 208/240V motors from 120V supply up to 3Hp.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

dave walton

Nov 17, 2014, 11:57:22 AM11/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
In regards to the compressor, the force needed to get it turning when pushing against a pressurized air tank is significant. It came with a 3-phase motor. Starting torque of a single phase motor is much less than a 3-phase at the same Hp. I suspect we will find that it is not practical to drive that compressor with a single phase motor.

We could use solenoids to start the motor with the compressor output open to air, then connect to the pressurized tank once it is up to speed. That would get up by using a single phase motor. Or perhaps a small tank in series before the main tank with a simple check valve that is allowed to depressurize before the motor start cycle. That could work... Then we could use a 5Hp, 1750rpm single phase motor.

Theoretically we could use a 3450rpm motor with a pulley 1/2 the size, but the shorter contact surface makes belt slippage an issue. Then the tighter bend radius and additional tension create other problems.

Ross Bochnek

Nov 17, 2014, 12:04:20 PM11/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Wow!  Lots to think about- thanks for the education about this!

I was redundant in a prior post, so I deleted it.  But, just to explain to people why a 3-phase motor is impractical, I'm reposting that part of my message.

HGR has plenty of 3 phase 200-230v motors, but I thought that getting 3-phase power, especially in the back of the warehouse, will probably never happen; at least untill:

-a fire suppression system gets installed
-the back of the warehouse is re-zoned as industrial
-permits are pulled
-someone pays an electrician a chunk o' change
-someone pays for all of the equipment
-the Fire Marshall approves all of this

dave walton

Nov 17, 2014, 12:10:29 PM11/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
We need to see if 3 phase is available on the back panel or in the room under the back bathroom.

Wherever it is, we can put the compressor there and run 3/4" black pipe to our area.

On Monday, November 17, 2014, Ross Bochnek <interac...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ross Bochnek

Nov 17, 2014, 12:30:19 PM11/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
That would be great if a live hookup already exists close by!

Also, all of HF's heaviest duty air hose is rated to 300 psi, including this 100' roll that's currently only $20: http://www.harborfreight.com/100-ft-x-38-in-pvc-air-hose-69710.html

Ross Bochnek

Nov 17, 2014, 2:49:04 PM11/17/14
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
There is some kind of washer upstairs, so perhaps there's an abnormal amount of power available in or below that room.