Group Project for Tuesday

1 view

Sam Harmon

Dec 17, 2017, 4:37:34 PM12/17/17
to makersalliance@googlegroups.com Group
Anyone have an idea for a group project we could build at the space on Tuesday? Bonus points if it’s woodworking-related (per what the theme-of-the-week would be this week) or metalworking (which would be next week’s theme, but we could swap ‘em, I guess). Double bonus points if it’s something useful that benefits the space.

My original thought was to build a specialized rolling workbench for dust collection (there’s a rough sketch floating around in the space somewhere), but the person who came up with the idea won’t be in this Tuesday. We’ll likely do that next week.

So let’s hear those ideas! If materials not on hand at the space are needed, I may be able to pick up some of it (lumber, etc.) if it’s not /too/ expensive and one of those “something useful that benefits the space” projects...

Other options(not very wood/metalworking, but could be fun?):
-Start building the Snappy (the bin I’ve been putting the printed parts in is getting full…)
-Figure out how to use the XBox Kinect that Kent brought in as a 3D scanner?
-Figure out the Z-axis for the “Big” 3D printer (that would at least involve cutting some extrusions to length on the metal-cutting bandsaw…)

Sam

Jim Owens

Dec 17, 2017, 5:40:27 PM12/17/17
to Sam Harmon, makersalliance@googlegroups.com Group
I would say start the Snappy. Failing that, a rolling workstation with adjustable shelves and a built-in power and light would be real useful.

Sam Harmon

Dec 18, 2017, 5:19:21 PM12/18/17
to makersalliance@googlegroups.com Group
Ian (the architect of this dust collection project) said to go ahead and build the bench this week, and he’ll do the dust collection setup/plumbing next week. Hopefully the cyclonic separator will arrive by then...

So, for anyone who wants to get some basic woodworking experience, we’re going to build this bench:

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html

I’ve built (or helped build) a number of these or variations thereof, including two at my house and two currently at the space (one holds the metal-cutting bandsaw, and the other the sandblasting cabinet).

We’ll be using the Miter saw, drills & drivers, squares, and jig saw, so if you’d like to gain some experience with any of these tools, stop by tomorrow!

Sam