9/5 Saturday Hack

Ross Bochnek

Sep 4, 2015, 11:14:36 AM9/4/15
to Makers' Alliance
I'll be going into the space tomorrow, 9/5/15 to work on the Seiko Robot Controller and stuff.

I'm thinking noon-6.

Krystin

Sep 4, 2015, 12:09:07 PM9/4/15
to Makers' Alliance
Hi Ross, do you know how to use the Media Blasting Cabinet?  If not, do you know if there are instructions nearby?  May I stop in to use the machine?

Thanks!

Sam Harmon

Sep 4, 2015, 12:12:14 PM9/4/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I’ll likely be there for a while as well. Possibly rearranging stuff?

Sam

> On Sep 4, 2015, at 11:14 AM, Ross Bochnek <interac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'll be going into the space tomorrow, 9/5/15 to work on the Seiko Robot Controller and stuff.
>
> I'm thinking noon-6.

Ross Bochnek

Sep 4, 2015, 2:06:45 PM9/4/15
to Makers' Alliance
Krystin, yes and yes.  It'll be a great excuse to try the red air compressors Ian brought us, and we have at least one other working one.  We're currently using playground sand.  The blasting cabinet is pretty easy to use, but kinda slow.  We've used it to etch glass and remove paint from plastic.  I'm interested to see your application.  It'll be a blast [heh].

Jonny Hall

Sep 4, 2015, 3:06:29 PM9/4/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
>We're currently using playground sand.

I'm assuming that since this is contained in a cabinet, it's not really an issue, but be aware that silica sand is not something you really want to be crushing and later inhaling -- silicosis is no fun!  So, if you're planning to blast anything that doesn't fit inside the cabinet, it'd be good to look into alternative media (I think they are often aluminum oxide based).

  -Jonny

Ross Bochnek

Sep 5, 2015, 6:06:04 AM9/5/15
to Makers' Alliance
We probably should get a few lbs. of real blasting media; it'd probably last us a long time inside the cabinet.

Sam Harmon

Sep 5, 2015, 11:12:01 AM9/5/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I’ll go get some on my way to the space today.

Sam

> On Sep 5, 2015, at 6:06 AM, Ross Bochnek <interac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We probably should get a few lbs. of real blasting media; it'd probably last us a long time inside the cabinet.

Ross Bochnek

Sep 5, 2015, 12:46:40 PM9/5/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to get my phone repaired today.  I hope to be there by 2.  Sorry for any delays.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Makers' Alliance" group.

Ross Bochnek

Sep 6, 2015, 2:16:57 PM9/6/15
to Makers' Alliance
Yesterday I:

-Finished Pi cable strain relief (rebuilt to accomodate power adapter)
-began cable management
-searched around for the piece of breakout board that went missing (am still looking)
-began designing case artwork
=some fonts experimented with inlcude: Sheru, Aurebesh, Top Secret, Atari Kids, and Wargames

Seiko-Controller-Art-52.pdf

Sam Harmon

Sep 6, 2015, 2:53:24 PM9/6/15
to makersa...@googlegroups.com

Additionally, we (Ross, Ian, and myself):
-got new belts for the Shopsmith Beltsander attachment, and got one installed
-got the blasting cabinet up to a more usable level (new gloves, safer abrasive, dust collection, lots of improved sealing)
-Started working on a dedicated bench for the blasting cabinet, though I didn’t get terribly far
—-all the pieces are cut, just need to screw it all together and sort out a top
—-using these plans: http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html, but smaller
-moved some things around to make room for the refrigerator in the “clean” half of the space

Sam