Open Hours tomorrow - 10/25/2016 7pm

Sam Harmon

Oct 24, 2016, 6:06:01 PM10/24/16
to makersalliance@googlegroups.com Group
We will be having our usual open hours tomorrow starting around 7. Bring a project to work on/show off/etc. Additionally we’ll be having a special Extraneous Stuff Identification Exercise (see below).

But first, some news:
-According to a back-channel conversation I had to have via twitter (there’s no email address…) our Mini Maker Faire presence was approved. Still no “official” confirmation, but it looks like we’re in the clear.
-Sign-up sheet coming this evening, I think...
-Hopefully you all saw the election notification I posted yesterday. Deadline to announce is next Monday.

Now, on to the Extraneous Stuff Identification Exercise:
Real talk - whether we’re moving elsewhere or moving to the other side of the garage, the stuff that’s in the space now _will_ be getting moved somewhere in the near term. And there’s *WAY* too much of it to squeeze into the proposed area on the other side of the garage.

Tomorrow there will be an exercise to identify the stuff that will not be making that move- it will end up with one of the following dispositions:
a) taken elsewhere by whoever owns it/claims it (if it’s determined to be group-owned property, it will be available for purchase at a reasonable cost)
b) put up for sale on craigslist if it has some perceived value and no members want it.
c) taken to a scrapyard if it has scrap metal value (and any useful parts pulled beforehand)
d) put in the dumpster if it is garbage.

Some things on the chopping block:
1- A large collection of barrels, kegs and other unused stuff (seriously, when was the last time we brewed anything? It’s been a long while…)
2- The Stratasys - This is a good candidate for the pick-it-apart-and-scrap-the-shell strategy
3- The giant compressor (anybody need a giant gas storage tank? Matt?)
4- The Radial Arm Saws (really, both of them) - there isn’t much they can do that can’t be done by other tools already in the space (table saw, miter saw, etc.)

Now, we won’t do anything tomorrow except identify such items. Anything that is identified as owned by someone (seriously, CLEARLY MARK YOUR STUFF. How hard is it?), will have some time to get it out (a couple of weeks? a month?). For now we’ll just mark it. Pictures will be posted, so you can say “hey that’s mine”, or “I’ll buy that for $75”, or whatnot.

Sorry for yet another giant block-of-text, but big things are happening, and big things have to get done...

See you all tomorrow,

Sam