benchtop shelves

Sam Harmon

Jan 6, 2016, 11:34:20 AM1/6/16
to makersalliance@googlegroups.com Group
While brainstorming last night, we came up with an idea for the big gray workbenches in the shop zone.

Since they’re kind of deep (approximately a 4x8 footprint each including the overhanging part), it may be worth building some shelving to stack onto them towards the back of the bench- so that tooling and accessories for the benchtop tools (and maybe even some/all of the fasteners?) could be efficiently stored near the tools. We also considered the idea of putting these shelves either on casters or some other sliding mechanism so they could be pulled a little closer to be accessed.

Additionally, mounting some kind of lighting to the tops of these proposed shelves would be great, and help out when the overhead light in the shop zone is being difficult.

Thoughts?

Sam

Kendall Smith

Jan 6, 2016, 12:30:31 PM1/6/16
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
As the guy who originally sketched up those gray workbenches, I think that your ideas are great.  Best of all is the idea for adding lighting!

Sam

Ross Bochnek

Jan 6, 2016, 4:55:07 PM1/6/16
to Makers' Alliance
YES!

Also, we may want to raise the working height of some of the tools like the scrollsaw and small lathes.  We could probably just mount each raised tool with some scrap 2x4 or 4x4, and bolt the tool and wood to the benchtop.

We should also consider where to put the wood chopsaw so it can cut long pieces.  Maybe we put it on a platform with some drawer slides, and it lives inside one of the gray benches.  Would this tool be useful that low to the floor?  It doesn't seem to get used that much.  You could just open the door, pull out the saw, lower a wagon brake or other type of retractable foot, use it, and slide it back away.