Problem with Makergear ABS filament on M2

Leander Kahney

Oct 5, 2014, 3:58:19 PM10/5/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Prints using Makergear's own ABS on my M2 keep failing after just a couple of minutes. The filament bunches up in the extruder, at the motor shaft. See attached pic.

I clear the jam, run a few hundred mms to test (which works fine), then start printing. After two or three minutes, you can hear the extruder gear make stepping noises as the filament bunches up, and then the print fails as filament is no longer forced through to the hot end.

I've tried adjusting the filament tensioner, and the hot end temperature (230, 235, 240 and 245 degrees).

I'm guessing the extruder is pushing more filament than the hotend can handle, but how is that adjusted?
IMG_0259.JPG

jimc

Oct 5, 2014, 7:58:14 PM10/5/14
to make...@googlegroups.com

if your first layer is printed too close to the bed it will cause this. its very much like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose. you blocking the nozzle so the plastic cant come out.

Leander Kahney

Oct 6, 2014, 12:54:09 AM10/6/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I had just calibrated the platform and thought the bed was positioned correctly, but perhaps it is tight. It just catches on a business card.

But OK. I'll try lowering it a hair. Thanks.

Erik Akia

Oct 6, 2014, 12:56:24 AM10/6/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Remember to calibrate it when hot since the bed expands and the hot end extends when hot.