Squiggly bits of PLA - Coast / Retraction problem?

Graham Plumb

Nov 10, 2014, 10:42:29 PM11/10/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I had my M2 working great for a few months, then left it alone for about 8 weeks. Now I come back and the prints that use the same settings as previous are getting small squiggly bits appearing at edges / sides / corners.

I've tried changing the Retraction Distance, which was working great at 2.00mm, and is now 1.5mm. But wondered if this a Coasting Distance issue, currently set to 0.75mm. Never tried playing with any other settings in 'ooze control'. Maybe I just need a new nozzle?

Any tips or pointers greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Graham
(images attached)

photo 1.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Levi8than

Nov 11, 2014, 2:43:23 PM11/11/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
How was your PLA stored?  I've heard that PLA which has absorbed water is more likely to ooze, and this might just be the proof.
You can try a deeper retraction distance with wipe on retract, before jumping models.  Or maybe try drying out your PLA in a bucket of desiccant for a few days.

toddInPortland

Nov 12, 2014, 2:19:38 PM11/12/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
This is actually a good question by itself: what is the right way to store PLA?

Bryan Boettcher

Nov 12, 2014, 2:36:56 PM11/12/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I store mine in ziploc baggies (2 gallon), with 2 packets of dessicant and a humidity card.  I change dessicant if its ever above 30% moisture.

Levi8than

Nov 12, 2014, 3:01:24 PM11/12/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I use a 5 gallon bucket from home depot with a leaktite screw top lid and a frisbee full of color changing dessicant on the bottom.  The dessicant is blue when water free.
As soon as I see a subtle hint of pink color, I pour all of the beads onto a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven for an hour or two at the lowest temperature, then dump it back in the bucket.

Nic Jansma

Nov 12, 2014, 5:02:26 PM11/12/14
to make...@googlegroups.com

Bryan Boettcher

Nov 12, 2014, 5:26:36 PM11/12/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nic, that's what I use for my 5lb spools.  I have two tubs -- each holds 3 spools (just barely)