Y-belt slip?

Ervan Darnell

Dec 1, 2014, 11:45:53 AM12/1/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Any design that runs for a few hours for me seems to X or Y-slip a few mm after a few hours in.  I'm attaching a picture of a "pencil holder", I've tried printing about 10 times and only had it work once.  The arrow points to the place where the printing shifted a bit.  The quarter is for size reference.  If I grab the design while still printing, it's firmly attached to the bed (PLA), so it's not an adherence problem.  I can't catch it in the act (over several hours) so I'm not sure what's happening.  I was wondering if anyone else has solved this problem.  I have the M2.

Bryan Boettcher

Dec 1, 2014, 11:48:49 AM12/1/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I've had some things like that which were actually the head hitting the part.  Do you use Z-lift?  What's your speed & accel settings?

On Mon Dec 01 2014 at 10:45:52 AM Ervan Darnell <er...@kelvinist.com> wrote:
Any design that runs for a few hours for me seems to X or Y-slip a few mm after a few hours in.  I'm attaching a picture of a "pencil holder", I've tried printing about 10 times and only had it work once.  The arrow points to the place where the printing shifted a bit.  The quarter is for size reference.  If I grab the design while still printing, it's firmly attached to the bed (PLA), so it's not an adherence problem.  I can't catch it in the act (over several hours) so I'm not sure what's happening.  I was wondering if anyone else has solved this problem.  I have the M2.

jimc

Dec 3, 2014, 8:46:54 AM12/3/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
yes the higher you go the more the parts can shake around and grab the nozzle on a movement so as bryan said, for tall pars use some z lift. you can also turn your acceleration down in the firmware. stock is 3000. run it at 1000-1500. also turn your xy movement speed down. if your using s3d the default value is 18000mm/min. cut that in half to 9000 or so. the default value is at the upper limit of the stepper movement.

Ervan Darnell

Dec 3, 2014, 2:39:59 PM12/3/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Bryan and Jim, thanks!  I ran the experiment again and that was the answer!  Turning on some destring and z-lift fixed it.