New M2 - Very excited! Questions though…

3DXTech

Oct 8, 2014, 9:44:44 PM10/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
We just got our M2 and are looking forward to putting it to good use!  We make / sell a variety of filaments (ABS, PLA, PETG, Carbon Nanotube, etc.) and can't wait to try them out with this printer.  So far - we are very impressed.  Solid and well-designed machine.  We are going to order an all-metal extruder to print a few of the new products we are launching in the 4th quarter. (Suggestions??  we are looking at a Micron 3DP).
Also - what about an enclosure?  We designed one for our in-house use… is there an off-the-shelf solution available?
Thanks in advance for the tips - 3DXTech

jimc

Oct 9, 2014, 9:35:25 PM10/9/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
hi 3dx, a few of us are using the e3dv6 hot end on our m2's. i have had a v5 and now went to the new v6. its a fantastic hot end for the printer. i havent heard too many good things about the micron. the e3d is proven with 1000's of users. i made a whole setup for the e3dv6 for the m2. just print it out in abs at a high infill. i usually use 80-90%

jimc

Oct 9, 2014, 9:45:01 PM10/9/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
hey on another note i see you guys have petg now but its some specialty conductive stuff. do you guys have regular petg avail or plans to come out with a line of it in colors? pet is pretty popular with alot of the m2 crowd. the petg variety i have used from a couple manufacturers is awesome. really strong and easy to print.

3DXTech

Oct 10, 2014, 5:25:53 PM10/10/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Jim - do you have a preference on colors??  We are working on some translucent colors, but can do opaque colors pretty easily (black, white, red, etc…)  I agree - I've printed with PLA, ABS, Nylon, etc… and PETG is crazy strong.  You need to use HIPS for the raft or supports though - it sticks to itself so well you'll destroy the part if you use the PETG as support.  Make sure to sign-up for our newsletter on our site (www.3dxtech.com) and we'll make sure you get the email when we put some PETG up for sale.
BTW - here's a picture of some translucent red we were extruding about a week ago.  Looks awesome, easy to print, very strong.
TR Red PETG.jpg

3DXTech

Oct 10, 2014, 5:27:28 PM10/10/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Wow - very nice.  That will be printed this weekend!

3DXTech

Oct 10, 2014, 5:31:48 PM10/10/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Jim - email me offline if you will.  I'd like to chat about how to get this up to 400c.  The guys at Micron 3DP have a pretty good set of directions on how to use their extruder and modify it onto the M2.  The e3dv6 looks like a good alternative.  My offline email is m...@3dxtech.com  Thx!

Ketil Froyn

Oct 10, 2014, 6:06:54 PM10/10/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Do you ship to Europe? Printing ESD safe parts is something I could use.

Regards, Ketil
> --

-Ketil
Message has been deleted

3DXTech

Oct 10, 2014, 6:35:34 PM10/10/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi.  Yes, we ship globally.  Our site ships globally via US Postal and UPS.  US Postal is less expensive, but a bit slower.  UPS is more expensive, but faster…  We can ship offline too if you have your own shipping account - just email us and we'll do it offline.  A lot of our corporate accounts do this via SAP or other methods.
Thanks!
Matt from www.3dxtech.com

Erik Akia

Oct 10, 2014, 7:13:00 PM10/10/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
That color is gorgeous. I saw your page about being a beta tester for your experimental filaments but I was unsure how to sign up for it.

Please don't take the discussion about higher temperatures off group. I am certainly interested and I am sure a few more will be as well, not to mention getting more input from the group.

I just re-imagined / redesigned the extruder for my M2 to be able to have the PTFE tube go all the way up from the E3D V6 to the drive gear. I am still testing it out. I printed it in PLA but the heat from the motor warped the motor mount. I got that under control with a fan on the motor but I was hoping to avoid more fans. I tried many times to print it in ABS but had delamination and warping problems. (I don't have much experience printing ABS yet). I printed it in madesolid PET+ and it came out beutifully. Now to see if it can handle the heat. (maybe the amperage is to high on the extruder stepper.)

I took the E3D hot end up to 270 and could hold my fingers on the fins of the hot end, which was just slightly warm.

After I play with it a bit more I will share.

Thanks
Erik

Erik Akia
720-310-5508 (Everywhere)
720-222-1996 (Fax)

E-mail Transmittal: Confidential/privileged Matters: this Message Is Intended Only for the Individual or Entity to Which it Is Addressed and May Contain Information That Is Privileged, Confidential and Exempt from Disclosure under Applicable Law.  If the Reader of this Message Is Not the Intended Recipient, You Are Hereby Notified That Any Dissemination, Distribution or Copying of this Communication Is Strictly Prohibited.  If You Have Received this Communication in Error, Please Notify Us Immediately by Telephone or Fax.

Ronald Nibbons

Nov 23, 2014, 1:23:38 PM11/23/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Erik, is there any possibility of you posting your redesigned extruder for the M2 with the PTFE tube going all the way up to the drive gear?  Also, how do you insert the tubing up there when you have to click in the heatsink?

-Rizzle

Gary Schwartz

Nov 24, 2014, 1:53:54 PM11/24/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I have a nearly complete design (Need one dimensional tweak) that allows PTFE down to the drive gear, and separate piece from drive gear to insulator PTFE.  I call it the "Bottom Mount".  It slides upward into the filament drive, and has two retainers using 3mm screws to securely hold the hot end to the filament drive.  It will also work with the E3D V6.  Another advantage is that it provides for near-perfect alignment of the filament passage from entry at top to entry at extruder.  About a week away.

Erik Akia

Nov 25, 2014, 3:19:05 AM11/25/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Here is another teaser for what I am doing with my E3D.

http://youtu.be/VzZLUnE8nE0

My wife was asleep in the next room so I was being quiet so you may have to turn up the sound.

I am still not sure it is bug free and I have made a few structural changes that I want to print before releasing this to the wild.
I am planning on using the new PETG I am picking up tomorrow.

Thanks
Erik

Bryan Boettcher

Nov 25, 2014, 10:56:42 AM11/25/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Very nice.  I like the simplicity of the original design + bowden. :)