Static Electricity Warning

Rick Pollack

Feb 1, 2014, 4:53:39 PM2/1/14
to MakerGear
We have recently learned about a vulnerability to static electricity. This only applies to M2s shipped September 2013 or later. If you use a laptop to run your printer via USB, be sure the laptop is plugged in. A fix is in process and will be available ASAP. Additional information will be posted as it is available.

Thank you,
Rick

david b

Feb 2, 2014, 10:08:44 AM2/2/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
are the M2s that havent shipped yet going to have this problem?
thank you

Rick Pollack

Feb 2, 2014, 12:16:33 PM2/2/14
to MakerGear
no - ultimachine should have this quickly turned around. Shipments will be delayed by a few days.

Rick

Jamil F.

Feb 4, 2014, 2:17:29 AM2/4/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Rick,

Can you give a little more info on this issue, as i think this is what happened to my printer last night, the RAMBo board quit.

Are you saying the board is vulnerable to static electricity?

I have no connectivity nor control of the board anymore, i cannot even upload the firmware to it.

Rick Pollack

Feb 4, 2014, 9:20:43 AM2/4/14
to MakerGear
Jamil - please contact support directly (sup...@makergear.com)

Jamil F.

Feb 4, 2014, 11:04:30 AM2/4/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I have!

Kevin Sevcik

Feb 4, 2014, 4:10:06 PM2/4/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
FYI, in case you need more data on the issue:

I don't know if this is related, but I actually have the opposite problem on my team's M2 we got through the FIRST Robotics competition.  If I power the M2 up, then plug it into my laptop while my laptop is plugged in, the RAMBo constantly reboots.  If I unplug my laptop, wait until the RAMBo is fully booted, THEN plug my laptop in, everything seems to work fine.

Rick Pollack

Feb 4, 2014, 8:46:18 PM2/4/14
to MakerGear
We will be sending out an easy-to-install patch very soon. Shipping of new machines will resume tomorrow.

--
Rick Pollack
MakerGear

MakerGear 3D Printers are Designed & Built in Beachwood, Ohio, USA

--
Message has been deleted

Jamil F.

Feb 7, 2014, 9:34:48 PM2/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys for the quick fix and ship, i will install and update :)

Kamil

Feb 7, 2014, 10:28:49 PM2/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ultimachine has some more info on the fix in their GitHub https://github.com/ultimachine/RAMBo/tree/master/docs/v1-2-ESD-patch Looks like this only affects the newer 1.2 version.

Rick Pollack

Feb 7, 2014, 10:37:25 PM2/7/14
to MakerGear
We'll send out the patch as soon as we get it. it is just a jumper that connects to two pins. fixes a problem with the floating ground related to the coupler that electrically isolates the machine from the PC. the boards on the machines we are shipping now have already been fixed.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Kamil <kamil.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ultimachine has some more info on the fix in their GitHub https://github.com/ultimachine/RAMBo/tree/master/docs/v1-2-ESD-patch Looks like this only affects the newer 1.2 version.

jimc

Feb 8, 2014, 12:12:02 AM2/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
oh boy i just realized this applies to me. i forgot i have the newer style rambo because mine was replaced not long ago.

f358

Feb 9, 2014, 1:09:10 PM2/9/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Is everyone who has purchased an M2 going to get it sent to them or do they have to ask? I have one from Dec 2013 so I guess I'm affected.

Chris

Rick Pollack

Feb 10, 2014, 2:22:09 PM2/10/14
to MakerGear
Please review the following link and let me know if it is clear. The jumpers will be going out this week.
http://www.makergear.com/pages/m2-sb1

Thank you,
Rick

Dave K

Feb 11, 2014, 12:19:37 AM2/11/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Rick - Seems clear to me.

Andy Thyssen

Feb 10, 2014, 10:41:05 PM2/10/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone

Bret Allen

Feb 12, 2014, 11:47:56 AM2/12/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Rick,
Glad you found a fix for this so quickly. I believe I may have lost a board to this very issue in late December and suggested a possible vulnerability to static discharge via the USB cable to Josh. Never heard back from Josh, but I hope my input and returned fried Rambo helped lead to a fix! Either way, it makes me feel good that MakerGear takes customer issues seriously and you guys are on top of things. I doubt any of the big 3D printer companies would be so responsive. Keep up the good work!!

Mark Gordon

Feb 13, 2014, 12:49:00 PM2/13/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Rick-

I read through this as an experienced tech reader.  The power supply seems clear, exact, well described.  The Static electricity descriptions seems to need two more hand holding items: 1) Clearly describe how the user should get the jumper.  ( email a request to you? Should they expect to already have parts to make the jumper?),  and 2) If all x1.2x boards need this jumper, I would state that systems delivered after early Fed should expect to see this jumper already installed.

Nice to see these notes,  very professional configuration management.

Thanks

Mark

Bryan Boettcher

Feb 13, 2014, 12:59:46 PM2/13/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Rick,

I have a franken-M2 because of various support requests over the years.  Should I install a jumper (I can make one, assuming it's just a straight jumper) on my RAMBO 1.2?  Would it hurt me to do so?  I print headless with Viki at this point.

Rick Pollack

Feb 13, 2014, 5:29:17 PM2/13/14
to MakerGear
Thank you Mark.

We are mailing out the jumpers and the instructions with the jumper direct people to the instructions page.  So they will have the jumper when they are on that page.

Noted the next item. just FYI, future factory boards have an addl chip and will not have a jumper. The jumper is a straight forward field repair.

Rick Pollack

Feb 13, 2014, 5:30:18 PM2/13/14
to MakerGear
Bryan - it is not just a jumper. I'll get the part number and post it here.

Rick Pollack

Feb 13, 2014, 7:37:15 PM2/13/14
to MakerGear

Bryan Boettcher

Feb 13, 2014, 7:44:18 PM2/13/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
@Rick: hope mine doesn't need one then :)

Rick Pollack

Bryan Boettcher

Feb 13, 2014, 8:05:28 PM2/13/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nope, it's a blue-fused RAMBO that I got maybe 9 months ago.  My original kit was the 1.0 RAMBO with the polyfuses, but that one is the one that the heated bed plug burnt up on.

I don't use it with a laptop anymore, but I imagine it's the same either way at this point.

I did place an order with Karen earlier for a replacement bed heater, maybe she can toss one in the box?

Rick Pollack

Feb 13, 2014, 8:08:24 PM2/13/14
to MakerGear
unless it is a 1.2 board it is not needed. an i-coupler was added with 1.2 and that is the chip that gets damaged by static (without the fix)

jimc

Feb 13, 2014, 8:10:12 PM2/13/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
brian, 9mos ago would be the 1.1 board.

Bryan Boettcher

Feb 13, 2014, 8:31:46 PM2/13/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
jimc, I'm guessing on the 9 months.  However, I seem to have a hybrid board.  The reprap wiki shows the 1.1 with a polyfuse, and the 1.2 with a blade fuse.  I dont' have U10 on my board, so I guess I'm in the clear.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM, jimc <xtremekr...@gmail.com> wrote:
brian, 9mos ago would be the 1.1 board.

jimc

Feb 13, 2014, 8:54:38 PM2/13/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
brian dont go by the pictures. i just checked that and it looks like they are just using the same photo for all the versions. i had a 1.1 which was 6mos ago then i had it replaced with a 1.2 beginning of dec. both boards have the blue fuse. i found on the reprap wiki where they confirmed that blue fuse started at 1.1 and prior versions were polyfuse.  you board will have the version printed on it. here are 2 pics i found. you can see the difference and where the version is printed.
RAMBo_0.jpg
RAMBoV12.jpg

Bryan Boettcher

Feb 13, 2014, 10:20:44 PM2/13/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the research jimc.  However, like I said in my last post, I actually checked for the specific chip (U10) that has the problem, and my board does not have it.  I have the 1.1 board as they were transitioning to blade fuses :)

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 5:54 PM, jimc <xtremekr...@gmail.com> wrote:
brian dont go by the pictures. i just checked that and it looks like they are just using the same photo for all the versions. i had a 1.1 which was 6mos ago then i had it replaced with a 1.2 beginning of dec. both boards have the blue fuse. i found on the reprap wiki where they confirmed that blue fuse started at 1.1 and prior versions were polyfuse.  you board will have the version printed on it. here are 2 pics i found. you can see the difference and where the version is printed.

quaverf

Apr 7, 2014, 7:16:31 PM4/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
What is the current status of this service issue?  Is hardware shipping?  I have not received hardware; have not received notification by email or post.

Rick

jimc

Apr 7, 2014, 8:14:28 PM4/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
did you email support? does the issue apply to you? do you have rambo v1.2? i emailed support and had my part within a few days.

Plastifier

Apr 21, 2014, 2:37:14 PM4/21/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I recently (april) received an M2 equipped with a Rambo 1.2g (PCB marked as 1.2g), but not shipped with the fix to plug.
Do I need this fix for my 1.2g ?

According to github, the fix applies to all 1.2.
Ultimachine has now a new 1.2 gp (patched), but even latest 1.2g seems to need it.

Rick Pollack

Apr 21, 2014, 2:41:17 PM4/21/14
to MakerGear
This ESD warning only applies to machine shipped between Aug/Sept 2013 and early February 2014. If you have received a machine since mid-February the problem was corrected.

Thank you,
Rick