Pronter Face won't connect to printer

ml

Feb 10, 2013, 12:04:23 PM2/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I recently purchased a prusa mendel from makergear and am on one of the last steps: connecting my printer to my computer via pronterface.
I can upload FW to the arduino board so my connection is fine. one LED on the RAMPS board is lighting up as well as the multiple LEDs on the arduino board. I set the correct com port in pronter face as well as the reccomended baud rate. When I press connect in pronter face the console simply says "connecting..." and nothing else happens. Any idea what the problem might be?

Jay Couture

Feb 10, 2013, 12:17:41 PM2/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Confirm the com port and baud rate (what is in the configuration.h file) you are using. If Arduino is left open, then it has control of the com port and should be closed first.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM, ml <mosesl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
I recently purchased a prusa mendel from makergear and am on one of the last steps: connecting my printer to my computer via pronterface.
I can upload FW to the arduino board so my connection is fine. one LED on the RAMPS board is lighting up as well as the multiple LEDs on the arduino board. I set the correct com port in pronter face as well as the reccomended baud rate. When I press connect in pronter face the console simply says "connecting..." and nothing else happens. Any idea what the problem might be?

ml

Feb 10, 2013, 3:31:33 PM2/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm using marlin and there are multiple baud rates including the one that i am using. Also, how can i make sure that Arduino isn't open?

Jay Couture

Feb 10, 2013, 3:45:08 PM2/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
There is one baud rate in configuration.h.

Starting at line 14 you should find something like:
// This determines the communication speed of the printer
//#define BAUDRATE 250000
#define BAUDRATE 115200

As you can see, for this example, the baud rate is set to 115200. The line above it is commented out with the double slash.

Your host software has to match that baud rate or you wan't connect. Ignore the Arduino comment for now, it sounds more like a baud mismatch.

ml

Feb 12, 2013, 8:50:52 PM2/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
thank you so much it connected righ after i made the adgustments!

ml

Feb 12, 2013, 8:59:01 PM2/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
i tried to use the stepper motors but i got this: Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo: External Reset
Marlin 1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: Feb 12 2013 17:48:22 | Author: (none, default config)
Compiled: Feb 12 2013
echo: Free Memory: 5545  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
Error:0
: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
ok T:0.0 /0.0 B:0.0 /0.0 @:0 B@:0
what do i do?

Jay Couture

Feb 12, 2013, 9:22:52 PM2/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Means that your thermistor (temperature probe) is not configured for the right pins, or you have it connected to the wrong pins.

ml

Feb 13, 2013, 8:43:04 PM2/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
which thermistor?

ml

Joshua Wills

Feb 15, 2013, 11:34:09 AM2/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
ML - actually, MAXTEMP means that the maximum temperature for a thermistor has been triggered.  This is normally caused by having the wrong thermistor table defined - go through configuration.h and configuration_adv.h and make sure that your thermistors are defined as Table 1, 100K thermistor.

Note - this is why we recommend using our older, stable version of Sprinter (what was installed on the Mega when it shipped): troubleshooting firmware, software and hardware all at the same time is frustrating.

--
Josh
MakerGear

Jay Couture

Feb 15, 2013, 1:28:50 PM2/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

ml

Feb 18, 2013, 7:39:33 PM2/18/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
can i get a link to download sprinter then?

Joshua Wills

Feb 18, 2013, 8:00:19 PM2/18/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

ml

Feb 20, 2013, 11:39:26 PM2/20/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

i tried to upload the sprinter i downloaded from the link i was given but i got this:  digitalWrite(chipSelectPin_, HIGH);

"HIGH" wa not declared in this scope.

Sd2Card.cpp: In member function 'void Sd2Card::chipSelectHigh()':
Sd2Card.cpp:146: error: 'HIGH' was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp:146: error: 'digitalWrite' was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp: In member function 'void Sd2Card::chipSelectLow()':
Sd2Card.cpp:150: error: 'LOW' was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp:150: error: 'digitalWrite' was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp: In member function 'uint8_t Sd2Card::init(uint8_t, uint8_t)':
Sd2Card.cpp:217: error: 'millis' was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp:221: error: 'OUTPUT' was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp:221: error: 'pinMode' was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp:223: error: 'INPUT' was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp: In member function 'uint8_t Sd2Card::waitNotBusy(uint16_t)':
Sd2Card.cpp:472: error: 'millis' was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp: In member function 'uint8_t Sd2Card::waitStartBlock()':
Sd2Card.cpp:482: error: 'millis' was not declared in this scope

Jay Couture

Feb 20, 2013, 11:53:36 PM2/20/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
What version of Arduino software are you using? Looks like it v1 or higher. You will need to grab ver0022 or 0023 (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software) scroll down to previous versions.

ml

Feb 21, 2013, 8:09:30 PM2/21/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Arduino is having troubles with their site so i can do nothing for now

sfis...@cox.net

Feb 21, 2013, 10:39:39 PM2/21/13
to make...@googlegroups.com, ml
Uploading is done at a slower baud rate, so a successful upload doesn't imply that your baud rate setting in pronterface is correct.

Start the Arduino IDE with the RAMPS board connected.

Go to Tools/Serial Monitor and try different baud rates to find the rate that the uploaded application uses.

You should get readable text when you pick the right one.

Then change pronterface to match.

ml

Feb 23, 2013, 12:38:22 AM2/23/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
i downloaded the new arduino and sprinter uploaded to the board with no problems. My heated bed and extruder are heating up perfectly now!. The only problem now is that i can't move any thing with my motors. Pronter face says that they are off, how do i go about turning them on?

Luisa Fabrizi

Apr 19, 2015, 10:26:07 AM4/19/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hello ML

We have got the exact same problem as you have! Heat-bed and extruder are warming up, but we cannot communicate with our motors. They won't move at all. Did you manage to solve that problem? Some tipp that might help us?
Thank you!

Dale Reed

Apr 19, 2015, 10:16:12 PM4/19/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this will help.....   but the power connector on the RAMBo board has 3 pairs of inputs.  The pair on the far left (closest to the Z-stepper) power the heated bed.  The other two pairs (not sure which does which) power the extruder heater, the steppers, and the logic board itself.  So it might be good to measure the voltage on all three pairs of input terminal -- perhaps a wire is loose or clamped on the insulation rather than the wire.

Of course, open up the electronics enclosure and make sure everything is plugged in securely.  The stepper connectors are all in a row next to the far right side of the printer.  And check the plugs into the stepper motors themselves.

If ALL the steppers are no go, I'm guessing one of the power wires (on the middle or right-hand pair) is not making it....

Also, please e-mail support at makergear dot com, and post a message on the "Technical Support" board at  forum.makergear.com  for help from the community.  Most people have moved there and don't read this board much anymore.
Dale