Pronterface Failure to connect

Gary Schwartz

Apr 9, 2013, 9:46:57 AM4/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
My PC is unable to connect to RAMPS/Arduino on my MG Prusa.

It says "Connecting ..."      Build area of screen flickers, but no connection occurs.
Connection is via USB (COM2) that has worked in the past.
WIN7 Home Premium, 32 bit.
I get "blonk-blonk" sound when physically connecting USB cable.
RAMPS green LED blinks when physical connection made.  Several red LEDs on Arduino come on & stay on.

Only clue I have is the following log from Pronterface (Printrun?).

"Pronterface (printrun?) log has the following entry ... for each time I try to connect.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM2: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified."

COM2 properties recognizes the Arduino, and says it's operating properly.

My conclusion is that I need to re-install something somewhere.  My lack of knowledge prevents me from identifying, finding, and installing the "something".

Can anyone help?

Dean Piper

Apr 9, 2013, 10:25:49 AM4/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Unhook everything and close Pronterface. Shut down PC, plug in USB, start PC, start Pronterface. I get this some times, the serial port gets locked by an executable. You may be able to find a hung process that is using it if you look in task manager. The USB/Serial needs to be hooked up a few seconds before you start Pronterface at the minimum.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 9, 2013, 7:58:04 PM4/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dean.  It didn't work for me.

Something evil is going on in my PC.  Here's the latest log of three different attempts to connect.  It's saying [Error 1], then [Error 5], then [Error 2].

I installed Komodo in order to take a look at the errors noted in the files.  In  serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56  it said "port must be configured before it can be used"

I seriously need help; I have a lifeless printer.  My only thought is to uninstall then re-install all software that could contribute to the failure to connect.

Can someone tell me what that software is?
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
  File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
  File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 68, in open
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 177, in _reconfigurePort
ValueError: Cannot configure port, some setting was wrong. Original message: [Error 1] Incorrect function.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
  File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
  File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM2: [Error 5] Access is denied.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
  File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
  File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM2: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified.

      Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Joshua Wills

Apr 9, 2013, 8:06:20 PM4/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Gary, the first thing that I would try is to uninstall pronterface.  It's a bit tricky, though, as pronterface doesn't "install", it just runs from your unzipped directory.  So first delete the exported files for pronterface.  Then delete the file "printrunconf.ini" in your home directory - on Windows 7 that's C:/Users/Gary assuming your username is Gary.

Then unzip pronterface from the zip file again, and test it.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 9, 2013, 8:34:22 PM4/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
​Thanks for the comeback, Joshua.

" delete the exported files for pronterface"  What & where are these?

      Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Joshua Wills

Apr 9, 2013, 9:53:18 PM4/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
The folder that pronterface is running from; Downloads/printrun-win-Mar2012-slic3r is probable.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 10, 2013, 2:27:31 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
​Joshua​

I deleted all instances of slic3r, printrun, pronterface that "Search Everything" could find on my system.

Then I did all three of the following:
​*
delete the exported files for pronterface
​* ​
Then delete the file "printrunconf.ini"
​* ​
Then unzip pronterface from the zip file again, and test it.
​"

Still getting "connecting ..." but not doing so.  Latest log says:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
  File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
  File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM2: [Error 5] Access is denied.

I allowed "connecting ..." to run for a few minutes, which resulted in the following log:

Exception in thread Thread-7:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "threading.pyc", line 532, in __bootstrap_inner
  File "threading.pyc", line 484, in run
  File "printcore.pyc", line 97, in _listen
  File "io.pyc", line 520, in readline
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 212, in read
Valu
​​
​ ​
Error: Attempting to use a port that is not open

I tried disabling, then re-enabling COM2. No luck.
FWIW Simplify 3D Creator won't connect either.
​​​
I will now look for malware on my system.
Do you, or anyone have another suggestion?

Joshua Wills

Apr 10, 2013, 2:29:40 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
When you connect the USB cable to the Mega, do any LEDs on the Mega light up or flash?

Also, and this sounds stupid, but have you tried another USB port, or another computer?

Gary Schwartz

Apr 10, 2013, 2:42:33 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I get a double flash of green LED on RAMPS, and several red LEDS on steady on the MEGA.
I have four unused USB ports ​& tried them all with same result.  Fifth port is for wireless mouse ... haven't tried that one for pronterface.

Different USB cable ... no effect.

Haven't tried another computer.  What software should I install?

      Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Joshua Wills <joshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
When you connect the USB cable to the Mega, do any LEDs on the Mega light up or flash?

Also, and this sounds stupid, but have you tried another USB port, or another computer?

Nic Jansma

Apr 10, 2013, 2:36:25 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com, Joshua Wills
Just making sure, are you running it as Administrator / elevated (for
access to the COM port)?

- Nic
http://nicj.net/
@NicJ

Gary Schwartz

Apr 10, 2013, 3:07:16 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm running as Administrator, ​but not familiar with /elevated.  How do I check?

      Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

On 4/10/2013 2:29 PM, Joshua Wills wrote:
When you connect the USB cable to the Mega, do any LEDs on the Mega light up or flash?

Also, and this sounds stupid, but have you tried another USB port, or another computer?

Nic Jansma

Apr 10, 2013, 3:09:00 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com, Gary Schwartz
Depending on how you launch the app, you should be able to right-click on its icon and Run as Administrator.  But if you're logged in as admin, you should be good.

This would only apply to Vista/Win7/Win8, not XP.

- Nic
http://nicj.net/
@NicJ
On 4/10/2013 3:07 PM, Gary Schwartz wrote:
I'm running as Administrator, but not familiar with /elevated.  How do I check?

      Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Nic Jansma <n...@nicj.net> wrote:
Just making sure, are you running it as Administrator / elevated (for access to the COM port)?

- Nic
http://nicj.net/
@NicJ

On 4/10/2013 2:29 PM, Joshua Wills wrote:
When you connect the USB cable to the Mega, do any LEDs on the Mega light up or flash?

Also, and this sounds stupid, but have you tried another USB port, or another computer?

Gary Schwartz

Apr 10, 2013, 7:19:56 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm attempting to try it on my main computer (Win7 Home Premium 64 bit)
The Arduino Mega ​2560 appears in Device Manager "Other Devices" with a question mark, and says drivers not installed.

That's not surprising in view of what Arduino site says:

The Mega2560 differs from all preceding boards in that it does not use the FTDI USB-to-serial driver chip. Instead, it features the ATmega16U2 (ATmega8U2 in the revision 1 and revision 2 boards) programmed as a USB-to-serial converter.

I'm in need of more help.  Maybe a recommendation for a different hobby.

      Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Joshua Wills <joshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
When you connect the USB cable to the Mega, do any LEDs on the Mega light up or flash?

Also, and this sounds stupid, but have you tried another USB port, or another computer?

mathisyo...@yahoo.com

Apr 10, 2013, 7:37:25 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Don't give up.  Your "different hobby"  will need stuff your current "hobby" can provide.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 10, 2013, 7:39:33 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Replying ​to my own post ... looks like I've really gone around the bend.

A bit more digging and I conclude that failure of the ATmega8U2 must be on my list of potential causes.  I could probably verify or eliminate this if I could get my main computer to recognize the Arduino as being on a USB serial port.  I'll see what turns up Google of ATmega8U2 on Win7.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 10, 2013, 7:41:08 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

Even if it's sculpturing?

Gary Schwartz

Apr 10, 2013, 7:55:34 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

This looks like what I need, but I don't know where to put it.  Please resist posting your first thought ... all others wil be  valued.

  Vista-64bit Sections
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[DriverInstall.NTamd64]
include=mdmcpq.inf
CopyFiles=DriverCopyFiles.NTamd64
AddReg=DriverInstall.NTamd64.AddReg
[DriverCopyFiles.NTamd64]
%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys,,,0x20
[DriverInstall.NTamd64.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"MsPorts.dll,SerialPortPropPageProvider"
[DriverInstall.NTamd64.Services]
AddService=usbser, 0x00000002, DriverService.NTamd64
[DriverService.NTamd64]
DisplayName=%SERVICE%
ServiceType=1
StartType=3
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%12%\%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:46:57 AM UTC-7, Gary Schwartz wrote:
My PC is unable to connect to RAMPS/Arduino on my MG Prusa.

It says "Connecting ..."      Build area of screen flickers, but no connection occurs.
Connection is via USB (COM2) that has worked in the past.
WIN7 Home Premium, 32 bit.
I get "blonk-blonk" sound when physically connecting USB cable.
RAMPS green LED blinks when physical connection made.  Several red LEDs on Arduino come on & stay on.

Only clue I have is the following log from Pronterface (Printrun?).  valued.

mathisyo...@yahoo.com

Apr 10, 2013, 8:42:27 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
good one

Gary Schwartz

Apr 10, 2013, 9:51:13 PM4/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

Would someone with Arduino Mega look on their PC for a file like this:

mdmcpq.inf

And let me know where it's located.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 11, 2013, 11:44:23 AM4/11/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Joshua/Rick,

This .inf  file appears to be a must-have in order for Arduino to connect to PC via USB.  Certainly someone at MG knows where it resides.​

      Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Dean Piper

Apr 11, 2013, 11:55:47 AM4/11/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Can't you just right-click on it and specify a new driver and use the one found in the Arduino IDE download in the drivers folder?

Download Arduino here: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Once extracted look in the drivers folder. They are all in there.

-Dean

Joshua Wills

Apr 11, 2013, 12:03:08 PM4/11/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
As Dean said, if that driver is necessary for communication with the Arduino, it will be in the Drivers folder.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 11, 2013, 3:04:25 PM4/11/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

That worked after figuring out that the driver needed is  "Arduno.inf"

Dean posted after I did, so I didn't have his recommendation when I posted to you.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 11, 2013, 3:20:38 PM4/11/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

I have same symptoms with my XPS17 as with my Inspiron.
XPS 17 4/11/2013 (COM3)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
  File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
  File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM3: [Error 5] Access is denied.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
  File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
  File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM3: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
  File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
  File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM3: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified.

Inspiron  4/11/2013  (COM2)
[...]

ValueError: Cannot configure port, some setting was wrong. Original message: [Error 31] A device attached to the system is not functioning.

[...]

I've tried everything recommended with no change in symptoms (failure to connect).  That leads me to conclude that the ATmega16U2 chip on the Arduino Mega has failed.

Have I missed anything, or should I order a new Arduino Mega?

Nicolas Duarte

Apr 11, 2013, 3:30:39 PM4/11/13
to makergear
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is to make sure that you are not running Pronterface and the Ardurino programmer at the same time.  If you are running the Ardurino programmer it will keep the USB port held.

From my understanding, you are in fact able to program the Ardurino is that correct?  Do you get any errors from the Ardurino when you try to program?

I have also had some issues with selecting the right USB port.  I am doing mine with a Mac but I have a long list of USB ports that I have to select through a long list that was confusing before I picked the right one.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 11, 2013, 6:43:42 PM4/11/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
"not running Pronterface and the Ardurino programmer at the same time?"
Not running Arduino programming & Pronterface concurrently.
"From my understanding, you are in fact able to program the Ardurino is that correct? Do you get any errors from the Ardurino when you try to program?"

I was able to compile & run the "blink" sample program.  It runs whenever connected to PC.   Nothing else ... (I don't know how to program it).  In the past I was able to open configuration_h, edit & compile & upload it.  Now I can only open any file that has .pde extension.

When I start Arduino.exe it opens the "Sketch" tab.  What is a sketch in Arduino language?

When I Checked serial monitor I got "Serial port COM2 not found.  Did you select the right one from the serial port menu?"  YES!

Is there any way to make the tiny red-on-black error messages legible?

I'm ready to conduct any further checks, so send ideas.
In the meantime I'm going to buy 20# of sculpting clay.  I figure I can get from AutoCad to prototype more quickly that way.

      Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Gary Schwartz

Apr 12, 2013, 12:16:30 AM4/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

PRESENT STATUS:

Still unable to connect.
Only options I see are:

A) Uninstall and reinstall ALL software and firmware.  (Would need instructions on how to do this)
B) Replace MEGA
C) ????

[...]

Rick Pollack

Apr 12, 2013, 12:35:23 AM4/12/13
to MakerGear
Gary - do you want to send the mega to us for evaluation?

--
Rick Pollack
MakerGear

Nicolas Duarte

Apr 12, 2013, 12:35:48 AM4/12/13
to makergear

One problem I could see is that you might not be uploading all the files.  With Marlin you have a main file that includes a whole bunch of other files that also get included.  If you program just the configuration file then you don't get the actual bulk of the program (unlike the blink example). When you open the firmware in Addition do you have multiple tabs at the top or just one file?  You should not be opening any files from the windows file browser but rather through the Ardurino open interface.  Try this:

Close Ardurino
Make sure your Marlin-Marlin_v1 (or whatever version) directory is in your Ardurino default directory
Open Ardurino
Go to the open sketch icon
Marlin should be there

You could also open the Marlin.info file from the windows file manager and should have the same result, but it gets sloppy that way when you want to do lots of changes.  Once you have multiple tabs for your sketch it should upload all of the files to the mega.

Good luck.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 12, 2013, 11:38:29 AM4/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Rick,
How long would that take?​

      Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Rick Pollack

Apr 12, 2013, 11:42:51 AM4/12/13
to MakerGear
if we receive it early next week we can check it quickly.

--
Rick Pollack
MakerGear

Gary Schwartz

Apr 12, 2013, 11:45:47 AM4/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'll try Nicolas' suggestions, if I still have problem I'll mail Arduino to you.  Do you also want RAMPS?​

Rick Pollack

Apr 12, 2013, 11:49:12 AM4/12/13
to MakerGear
yes

--
Rick Pollack
MakerGear

Gary Schwartz

Apr 12, 2013, 3:41:19 PM4/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nic & anyone watching

You were right.  I didn't have correct path specified.  That's fixed, I successfully compiled, but uploading still reports error.

"avrdude: stk500v2_getsync():  can't communicate with device: resp=0x01"

Still unable to connect.
I tried S3DCreator after deleting everything associated with Pronterface & printrun.  All went well until I attempted to connect.  I was unable to connect.

FWIW it's worth, my Prusa experienced hotend temperature runaway ~ 2 weeks ago.  Cause not found.  New hotend worked OK.

Windows still reports that device is working properly.

Could a corrupted Python file be the cause ?  I see reference to Python in all printrun error log files.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM2: [Error 5] Access is denied.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM2: [Error 5] Access is denied.

Could I cause any damage if I Installed/repaired Python?

could not open port COM2: [Error 5] Access is denied.

is haunting me.

Gary Schwartz

Apr 12, 2013, 6:05:07 PM4/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
If I learn that corrupted Python file cannot cause my problem it will be on its way.

      Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Gary Schwartz

Apr 13, 2013, 1:39:22 PM4/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
USPS said it will arrive your place Monday or Tuesday.​

Marcus Kroetz

Feb 14, 2015, 6:50:00 PM2/14/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
i am in need of some help also if anyone can help

Bryan Boettcher

Feb 15, 2015, 11:53:56 PM2/15/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
Try a different COM port?

Tomislav Štampar

Mar 16, 2015, 5:45:50 PM3/16/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I wanted to do one more trial before I leave home from my office and it WORKED! :D :D :D I dont know why and it doesnt have any logic but it works :D I wrote in my firmware #define SERIAL_PORT 3 but this is how it works :D

// SERIAL_PORT selects which serial port should be used for communication with the host.
// This allows the connection of wireless adapters (for instance) to non-default port pins.
// Serial port 0 is still used by the Arduino bootloader regardless of this setting.
#define SERIAL_PORT 0

Hope I could help :)
Kind regards!
Tom

Len Drum

Aug 16, 2015, 5:19:53 PM8/16/15
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
If it helps anyone:
I was having the same problem as Gary and was able to resolve it by installing 'serial_install.exe' which can be downloaded here https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/serial_install.exe
Worked for me.